Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012

Trailblazer is on a distinguished road
New to Sailnet not new to sailing

My name is Tom I've been sailing for over 45 years...... that didnt give away my age did it? I am self-taught, started on a Sunfish, then a San Juan 21, Catalina 25, Crysler Barracuda, Hunter 30, Hobie 12, Optmus, Clipper Marine 21, Hunter 25, Hunter 28.5, Starwind 223 and my present boat a Hunter 23.5 water ballast. I may have left out a boat or two. 20 years ago, My wife had devorced me, my kid moved out and the dog died, so I sold my house in Colorado and bought a sailboat in Florida. I sailed (the Hunter 30) from Pennsacola across the Gulf to Tampa, then on to the Keys where I lived aboard for the next five years. After the first year I met the love of my life, got married and we lived together on the Hunter for four years. We moved inland, put together some money for retirement, and ended up on the South Texas Gulf Coast a few years ago retired and with our present boat, the Hunter 23.5.
I joined the boards because I thought it would be fun to share sailing experiences and knowledge with other sailors both seasoned and novice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012

astarte58 is on a distinguished road
Re: New to Sailnet not new to sailing

hello all new guy just bought my first sail boat its a tylercraft 26 twin keel that is in good shape for her age. looking forward to refitting her and getting her seaworthy again i have years of seatime and am a seasoned skipper retired oilfild and charter fishing and commercial fishing captain holding a coast guard licensed 100 ton captain and mate 1600 ton fraight and towing. been off the water awhile and missed it.
Old 04-29-2012

captainfletcher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to captainfletcher Send a message via MSN to captainfletcher Send a message via Yahoo to captainfletcher

Welcome both of you! I look forward to hearing some of those stories! I'm a new sailor that's a long ways from the sea! Great to have you all onboard!
Old 04-29-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Welcome! Jump right in, the water's fine.
Old 05-04-2012

astarte58 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: New to Sailnet not new to sailing

first my spelling is some times not up to par and for that i appoligize but i need information about a boat i perchesed a few days ago. its a 26 foot tylercraft that seems to be in fairly good over all shape it is a 1974 model as per the title, how ever the mast seems as if it may have been damaged and repaired some time in the past so i bought a new one. the new one is a foot or so taller and an inch bigger all around so i have to replace the step and rig the new mast for my boat. the old mast has larger standing rigging but it all eyes and crimps. the new mast has new standing rigging but slightly smaller but with nice new fittings on all ends no crimps or clamps.
My questions are should i shorten the new mast where can i find steps and should i replace the standing rigging or use what i have is crimps and clamps a good way to go. oh yeah if some one on here is near destin florida or panama city florida my wife and i need sailing lessons. not boating we are retired professional charter boat fishing captains and experanced ship yard workers costal and off shore navagators and i personally was a quartermaster in the navey with circlesailing navagation experance but we no nothing about sails and sailing... once again sorry about the spelling

Last edited by astarte58; 05-04-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

I don't know, since all my spars are wooden. But you should probably start a new thread in "Gear and Maintenance"