Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012
sailawaywithme

ecmcnabb is on a distinguished road
Tenderfooted Sailor Girl

My name is Elizabeth...I'm new to sailing. I've been once before about 5 years ago and have been in love with it ever since, but I live in Louisiana so I can't really pursue it wholly at the moment. Not many people around here have sailboats and we don't live close to the coast. All I'm trying to do here is learn more about it and hopefully meet some people who can help me get started on my sailing journey. I've always dreamed of even someday raising a family on a sailboat. Please, any advice you have is welcomed. Thanks a bunch guys
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012

wduncan50 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tenderfooted Sailor Girl

If you live anywhere near Shreveport check out the Shreveport Yacht Club, nice place and nice people.
maxtrax01 likes this.
Old 04-30-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Welcome. This is a good place in which to get started. Lurk around the forums, ask questions (when you know enough to know what questions to ask), and you'll be on your way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-30-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Lake Arthur Yacht Club is a very friendly place as well, if you live in that part of the state.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-01-2012
sailawaywithme

Thanks everyone. I'm not close to Shreveport, quite the opposite actually, but I could probably check out Lake Arthur. What about near the Lafayette/Baton Rouge area? Also, I'm a student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and there is NO sailing club sadly.
Old 05-06-2012

herezjohnny is on a distinguished road

Whats up coonass!? LOL. You are not in a very sailing friendly area, but if you have time on weekends or whenever head over to New Orleans. Lots and lots of sailboat stuff around Lake Ponchartrain. You can take lessons out of Mandeville and even rent a boat once you`ve proven yourself. If you find yourself heading this way gimmee a holler and I`ll gives you some ideas where to go. Make friends with new orleans sailing on facebook too, they give info on wednesday races at West End.
Old 05-06-2012
sailawaywithme

Haha, I see you are a fellow coonass...Slidell, eh? Thank you so much for all of the helpful information! I'll definitely check those facebook pages out. I just got home from New Orleans a minute ago...Jazz Fest!
Old 05-07-2012
I'm new.

Globalksp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by herezjohnny View Post
Whats up coonass!? LOL. You are not in a very sailing friendly area, but if you have time on weekends or whenever head over to New Orleans. Lots and lots of sailboat stuff around Lake Ponchartrain. You can take lessons out of Mandeville and even rent a boat once you`ve proven yourself. If you find yourself heading this way gimmee a holler and I`ll gives you some ideas where to go. Make friends with new orleans sailing on facebook too, they give info on wednesday races at West End.
Hey Johnny,

Could you tell me more about the sailing lessons / rentals in Mandeville? I know that Murray's Yacht Sales is an ASA certified training facility but didn't know about anything in Mandeville.

I second the Wednesday races. After the races everyone (who wants to) meets at one of the clubs bars to shoot the **** and eat and drink. Might be a good place to drop into if you can make the trip from Lafayette.
Old 05-07-2012
I'm new.

Globalksp is on a distinguished road

To follow up...

I just spoke with the kind folks at Murray's and they offer weekend, group classes for all experience leves up to the 103 certification for $75/lesson. A nice option, however, is their $250 "private" lesson. You are basically renting the boat and instructor for 3 hours at a flat rate of $250 and can bring up to 4 people with you. In other words, a group lesson wherein you select the group.

If anyone who comes upon this is interested, I have at least one other person besides myself who would be interested in the $250 option. If we can get a crew of 4 to meet on a schedule, we'd be able to learn and work together, which is appealing to me opposed to potentially sailing with a group of strangers each class.

Anyone interested?
Old 05-09-2012

herezjohnny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
Hey Johnny,

Could you tell me more about the sailing lessons / rentals in Mandeville? I know that Murray's Yacht Sales is an ASA certified training facility but didn't know about anything in Mandeville.

I second the Wednesday races. After the races everyone (who wants to) meets at one of the clubs bars to shoot the **** and eat and drink. Might be a good place to drop into if you can make the trip from Lafayette.
Havent tried any of these, just happened to notice them while surfing over the years

Take The Helm Sailing School
(985) 264-6954
Mandeville, LA
Horizons Sailing Charters
(985) 674-0847
Mandeville, LA
Bleu Skies Yact
(985) 626-8435 301 Atalin St

Tags
louisiana , novice