Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012

KAZMAN is on a distinguished road
Making Progress - Thanks for all the info so far....

Not exactly new to the forum or sailing. Kind of been a free rider in both aspects. Just registered but have read a lot of posts regarding boat selection. A wealth of information for which I am grateful.

As for myself a little background, my wife and I grew up sailing Ohio lakes Sailfish, Sunfish, Rhodes Bantam etc. Did a cruise in BVI in 1974 on a 37 foot Irwin Ketch. First time I flew at the age of 16...as an aside, both my kids flew by 16 weeks. In any event the bug bit and I was able to get a fix by sailing with in-laws who had a Morgan 30 and sailed out of Beverly MA, San Diego, and eventually Mystic.

A year ago I took a sabbatical (extended indef.) and wife followed suite. We are lucky enough to have access to house and dock in Mystic and so started sailing again on our own, ASA schooling out of Corpus Christi and Hunter 36 share out of Mystic. Dock is in "skinny water" so we were looking for something that would fit and could do the east coast run to Bahamas and perhaps a passage or two. Under 4 foot draft, selection process narrowed down rapidly and in the end looked at Krogen 38, Island Packet 31, Holby Clearwater 35, and Bristol 35.5.

Not keen on the Island Packet 31 and while we liked the Krogen 38 it was just a little to odd and large and round, also was impressed with Clearwater 35 but they only made 7 so....passed on that as well and bought the best Bristol 35.5 we saw, Moonraker out of West Islip.

Had her surveyed last fall and left her stored on hard but had to move her early this spring. Sailed her out Fire Island Inlet around to Mystic with short nap/lunch stop in Block Island mid April. So far so good. Sailed her double reefed in 20-22 gusting to 26 and she was rock steady. Didn't point to well as only had a smidgeon of headsail out on an old Hood Sea Furl II roller-reefer. We surfed down 6 foot swells doing 7.5 knots. Looking forward to getting better acquainted this summer. Have numerous projects to investigate and implement but for now really looking forward to spending some time on the water this summer.

I will be seeking any and all advice regarding a short list of projects and hope to contribute as well in time. Thanks again you all have been a great deal of help already.

Cheer Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2012
MissedMyChance

gpittman is on a distinguished road
Making Progress - Thanks for all the info so far....

OK. I am a little jealous. Sounds like you have fun times ahead. I look forward to reading your progress through the summer. Fair winds....
Old 05-10-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road
Re: Making Progress - Thanks for all the info so far....

Have Fun and post pictures, Richard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.