SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   newbie from Swansea Uk OOD34 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/87657-newbie-swansea-uk-ood34.html)

Martyn hixon 05-22-2012 06:17 AM

newbie from Swansea Uk OOD34

]Hi everyone.
this is my first post so bare with me. not sure if there is anyone out there with an OOD 34. Be great if there is as id love to get some info as im new to the boat and yet to take her out sailing.
there are plenty of pics from years gone by of the boat when the last owner had her and she was one of a few boats that survived the 1979 fastnet race:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Anyway im looking forward to hearing from anyone and and will be looking for some info and help as issues arise as im sure they will. The boat is sound but need a lot of TLC. due to the previous owner not being well and not going on the boat for 3 years :(
Any help would be great tho. :thumb:
OOD 34 (CONTESSA) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The link above will show you My baby in all her glory back in the day

Regards

Martyn

Trinidoc 06-22-2012 11:24 PM

Re: newbie from Swansea Uk OOD34

Hi Martyn
I'm also a newbie OOD 34 owner. I bought Moonshot at the beginning of the year which was also allowed to deteriorate by the previous owners. She's my first boat and is presently out the water as I've been systematically gutting her and bringing her back to a respectable condition. It's been a daunting task but I hope to be finished by September. I was never able to see her sail before I bought her so am really anxious to get her back in the water.
Andrew

Martyn hixon 06-23-2012 03:47 PM

Hi Andrew,
So nice to know someone on here with the same boat.
I've yet to sail my OOD34 but can't wait. I'm getting married in August so my boat has been
Put on a back burner. Next year I hope to get her out next year. One thing that needs repairing is the seals on the hydraulic backstay tensioner. Any ideas where I can get these?
Martyn

Trinidoc 06-23-2012 08:02 PM

Unfortunately my boat doesn't have a fancy backstay tensioner. It's been located in Trinidad in the Caribbean for the last 25 yrs or so and thus hasn't been modernised. I think the work I'm doing now is the first since it was made. Hopefully I can add another 20 years of life into this old girl. I'm putting in a new engine, full rewiring and led lighting, new rigging and lifelines/stanchions, redoing all thru hulls, recovering all cushions, revarnishing the interior etc etc. I'm in full swing now and doing most of the work myself.

Martyn hixon 11-15-2012 07:27 AM

With regards to my OOD34, Does anyone know whats thing to do with replacing the rubber seals within the backstay tensioner pump. i have the pump version but i would say the seals have perished due to the fact there is no resistance and the backstay does not become taught when i pump it.