Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012

Martyn hixon is on a distinguished road
newbie from Swansea Uk OOD34

]Hi everyone.
this is my first post so bare with me. not sure if there is anyone out there with an OOD 34. Be great if there is as id love to get some info as im new to the boat and yet to take her out sailing.
there are plenty of pics from years gone by of the boat when the last owner had her and she was one of a few boats that survived the 1979 fastnet race
Anyway im looking forward to hearing from anyone and and will be looking for some info and help as issues arise as im sure they will. The boat is sound but need a lot of TLC. due to the previous owner not being well and not going on the boat for 3 years
Any help would be great tho. :thumb:
OOD 34 (CONTESSA) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The link above will show you My baby in all her glory back in the day

Regards

Martyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2012

Trinidoc is on a distinguished road
Re: newbie from Swansea Uk OOD34

Hi Martyn
I'm also a newbie OOD 34 owner. I bought Moonshot at the beginning of the year which was also allowed to deteriorate by the previous owners. She's my first boat and is presently out the water as I've been systematically gutting her and bringing her back to a respectable condition. It's been a daunting task but I hope to be finished by September. I was never able to see her sail before I bought her so am really anxious to get her back in the water.
Andrew
Old 06-23-2012

Hi Andrew,
So nice to know someone on here with the same boat.
I've yet to sail my OOD34 but can't wait. I'm getting married in August so my boat has been
Put on a back burner. Next year I hope to get her out next year. One thing that needs repairing is the seals on the hydraulic backstay tensioner. Any ideas where I can get these?
Martyn
Old 06-23-2012

Trinidoc is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately my boat doesn't have a fancy backstay tensioner. It's been located in Trinidad in the Caribbean for the last 25 yrs or so and thus hasn't been modernised. I think the work I'm doing now is the first since it was made. Hopefully I can add another 20 years of life into this old girl. I'm putting in a new engine, full rewiring and led lighting, new rigging and lifelines/stanchions, redoing all thru hulls, recovering all cushions, revarnishing the interior etc etc. I'm in full swing now and doing most of the work myself.
Old 11-15-2012

With regards to my OOD34, Does anyone know whats thing to do with replacing the rubber seals within the backstay tensioner pump. i have the pump version but i would say the seals have perished due to the fact there is no resistance and the backstay does not become taught when i pump it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.