Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012

thedrages is on a distinguished road
Hello from OZ

Hi all,
New to the forum! I live in Jan Juc , Victoria. Australia. Married with two great kids(3 & 4 1/2) and another on the way! My father taught me to sail as a kid first on a Large lake , then later coastal crusing out of Carins, Far North Queensland. I lived on a 32' 6'' Thunderbird in San Diego for two years. Since returning to Australia about ten years ago have been land locked. But all is not lost! I have convinced my amazing wife to have a serious look at buying a boat and doing Australian circumnavigation and South Pacific Island hop. Then who knows from there! We have a timeline of 5 years to save to reach our target of $60,000 for a liveable sailboat which can squeeze a family of five onboard. Not alot of coin for something around 38' , but I have hope ! Really interested in connecting with other familys who are/have cruised with kids. Also any advice would be great.

Dean & Eve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Hello from OZ

Welcome aboard, Dean

You really do live in a nice part of Victoria.. and a great place to raise kids. I'm sure $60k will buy you a decent boat - just not a new one, that's all. Now is actually a really good time to buy...

If you're wanting to get out on the water, you might like to drop into/join up with Royal Geelong YC and get involved there - sail training for the kids, drinks at the bar, etc., etc. SNet member Melbournian (and hubby) have their (new!) Catalina down there at the moment - and I'm sure they'd be happy to take you and the family for a cruise on Corio Bay sometime.

If I can get you interested in Classics (timber and varnish!), we sail out of Williamstown every couple of weeks, year round. www.classic-yacht.asn.au

Any questions, ask away!
Old 05-24-2012

Thanks for the reply,

I was on the phone to RGYC this morning about membership. I am keen on crewing on some boats, work towards Yacht masters and do anything my power to help my wife catch the bug! Tossing up the idea of getting a small yacht now to introduce the family to sailing , then sell to upgrade down the track. Seems that if everything goes to pot , we would still have a weekender/ daysailer to keep me amused. Saw a old 26' Folkboat that sparked my interest. I would think if I invested in something half reasonable and fixed it up I should get a decent return back on it in a few years , all going to plan that is. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Classic Yachts , my father was a regular subscriber to 'Wooden Boat' mag.
Old 05-24-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. If you found a wooden Folkboat, you could race it in the Classics.. (I'm only half joking - we have two on the list already)

I don't suppose you've considered a trailer-sailer to get the family started?? You can pick up a Hartley TS18 (if you don't own a 4WD) or TS21 (if you do) for not much money and the good ones do hold their value: The Hartley TS18 - 21 Yacht Club is based in Melbourne but as a former owner I'm a bit biased, I'm afraid.

Once you get a few more posts up you'll be able to send a PM to Melbournian. They're a good bunch at RGYC..
Old 05-24-2012

Hmmm,
I have though on this before, as a ballpark figure . What do you feel I would be looking at spending on a Hartley 18 or TS 21. I have a 2wd hilux can tow a far bit.
Old 05-24-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrages View Post
Hmmm,
I have though on this before, as a ballpark figure . What do you feel I would be looking at spending on a Hartley 18 or TS 21. I have a 2wd hilux can tow a far bit.
2wd Hilux? They're solid boats. The TS18 is ~1100kgs all-up and the TS21 ~1800kgs... but being all-ply can take quite a beating (I will always remember one launch at St Kilda Marina where a cross-wind caught me off-guard and the boat ended up broadsiding the pointy-end of the jetty with a CRACK that could be heard above the roar of the jetskis. No external damage at all - hardly a mark - the sound was a rib shearing off the outer skin which I repaired when we got home, after our day sail. Most plastic boats would have been on the bottom with a hole 6" across.)

In good condition, ready-to-sail, expect to pay around $8,000 for a TS18 and around $10,000 for a TS21... but if (a) it is coastal sailing you're interested in, (b) you don't mind fixing things and learning along the way and (c) you can get a old Folkboat on a mooring for not a lot more money, I'd probably be doing that instead.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2012

Hey thanks for the info,

I think I have found a Hartley 18 in resonable nick, 'Woody' - a Hartley 18, is For Sale | Sail And Oar

(found a pretty good Hartley 28 in Gippsland, no trailer though)

I have found a couple of keel boats.But permanent moorings are proving a little difficult to find around Geelong/ Balnaring area. Coastal sailing is definatley part of the plan. But that being said , would be happy Bay sailing for a couple of years. Till I get the Wife and Kids comfortable and happy little Yachties!
Old 05-31-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info,

I think I have found a Hartley 18 in resonable nick, 'Woody' - a Hartley 18, is For Sale | Sail And Oar
Here's the "official" advert: http://www.hartleyyachtclub.com.au/sales/woody2a.doc

"Woody" has an excellent pedigree with the TS18-21 YC and has had a string of good owners in her long life (including a past-Commodore of the Hartley YC, now sailing a bigger boat) but was actually in in pretty good nick last I saw her. Being a Mk1 and set up for cruising she's unlikely to win any races, but for a sea-kindly day-sailer/bay cruiser that certainly seems like a reasonable price to me. Well worth a look and a trial sail if you haven't done so already.

Quote:
(found a pretty good Hartley 28 in Gippsland, no trailer though)

I have found a couple of keel boats.But permanent moorings are proving a little difficult to find around Geelong/ Balnaring area. Coastal sailing is definatley part of the plan. But that being said , would be happy Bay sailing for a couple of years. Till I get the Wife and Kids comfortable and happy little Yachties!
A Hartley 28 isn't a trailable yacht - not unless you own a truck. A 24 is about the biggest I know of anyone trailering, and then only behind a Range Rover! Large trailerable yachts don't always make financial sense if you add the cost of a new 4x4 into the equation.

As far as permanent moorings go, I'd think Limeburners (Lagoon Boat Club) would be your only chance near Geelong. I think there's a reasonable waiting list, but you if you bought a boat on a mooring you might be able to get the mooring also. The waiting list for RGYC is better, but them's marina prices..
Old 06-01-2012

Thanks Mate,

I am quite keen about her the more I think about it. Good price and if I can jam the wife a kids onto an 18' , they will think a 35' to 40' is a cruise ship! Need some tips on cost/easiest way to refinish the hull, if you have any thoughts?
Appriciate your feedback!

Dean
Old 06-02-2012

I've answered my own question. Join the Hartley TS18-21 Club! Checked out the website and the seller advised me about the cradle for hire! Problem solved

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.