Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012

thedrages is on a distinguished road
Hello from OZ

Hi all,
New to the forum! I live in Jan Juc , Victoria. Australia. Married with two great kids(3 & 4 1/2) and another on the way! My father taught me to sail as a kid first on a Large lake , then later coastal crusing out of Carins, Far North Queensland. I lived on a 32' 6'' Thunderbird in San Diego for two years. Since returning to Australia about ten years ago have been land locked. But all is not lost! I have convinced my amazing wife to have a serious look at buying a boat and doing Australian circumnavigation and South Pacific Island hop. Then who knows from there! We have a timeline of 5 years to save to reach our target of $60,000 for a liveable sailboat which can squeeze a family of five onboard. Not alot of coin for something around 38' , but I have hope ! Really interested in connecting with other familys who are/have cruised with kids. Also any advice would be great.

Dean & Eve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Hello from OZ

Welcome aboard, Dean

You really do live in a nice part of Victoria.. and a great place to raise kids. I'm sure $60k will buy you a decent boat - just not a new one, that's all. Now is actually a really good time to buy...

If you're wanting to get out on the water, you might like to drop into/join up with Royal Geelong YC and get involved there - sail training for the kids, drinks at the bar, etc., etc. SNet member Melbournian (and hubby) have their (new!) Catalina down there at the moment - and I'm sure they'd be happy to take you and the family for a cruise on Corio Bay sometime.

If I can get you interested in Classics (timber and varnish!), we sail out of Williamstown every couple of weeks, year round. www.classic-yacht.asn.au

Any questions, ask away!
Old 05-23-2012

Thanks for the reply,

I was on the phone to RGYC this morning about membership. I am keen on crewing on some boats, work towards Yacht masters and do anything my power to help my wife catch the bug! Tossing up the idea of getting a small yacht now to introduce the family to sailing , then sell to upgrade down the track. Seems that if everything goes to pot , we would still have a weekender/ daysailer to keep me amused. Saw a old 26' Folkboat that sparked my interest. I would think if I invested in something half reasonable and fixed it up I should get a decent return back on it in a few years , all going to plan that is. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Classic Yachts , my father was a regular subscriber to 'Wooden Boat' mag.
Old 05-24-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. If you found a wooden Folkboat, you could race it in the Classics.. (I'm only half joking - we have two on the list already)

I don't suppose you've considered a trailer-sailer to get the family started?? You can pick up a Hartley TS18 (if you don't own a 4WD) or TS21 (if you do) for not much money and the good ones do hold their value: The Hartley TS18 - 21 Yacht Club is based in Melbourne but as a former owner I'm a bit biased, I'm afraid.

Once you get a few more posts up you'll be able to send a PM to Melbournian. They're a good bunch at RGYC..
Old 05-24-2012

Hmmm,
I have though on this before, as a ballpark figure . What do you feel I would be looking at spending on a Hartley 18 or TS 21. I have a 2wd hilux can tow a far bit.
Old 05-24-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrages View Post
Hmmm,
I have though on this before, as a ballpark figure . What do you feel I would be looking at spending on a Hartley 18 or TS 21. I have a 2wd hilux can tow a far bit.
2wd Hilux? They're solid boats. The TS18 is ~1100kgs all-up and the TS21 ~1800kgs... but being all-ply can take quite a beating (I will always remember one launch at St Kilda Marina where a cross-wind caught me off-guard and the boat ended up broadsiding the pointy-end of the jetty with a CRACK that could be heard above the roar of the jetskis. No external damage at all - hardly a mark - the sound was a rib shearing off the outer skin which I repaired when we got home, after our day sail. Most plastic boats would have been on the bottom with a hole 6" across.)

In good condition, ready-to-sail, expect to pay around $8,000 for a TS18 and around $10,000 for a TS21... but if (a) it is coastal sailing you're interested in, (b) you don't mind fixing things and learning along the way and (c) you can get a old Folkboat on a mooring for not a lot more money, I'd probably be doing that instead.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2012

Hey thanks for the info,

I think I have found a Hartley 18 in resonable nick, 'Woody' - a Hartley 18, is For Sale | Sail And Oar

(found a pretty good Hartley 28 in Gippsland, no trailer though)

I have found a couple of keel boats.But permanent moorings are proving a little difficult to find around Geelong/ Balnaring area. Coastal sailing is definatley part of the plan. But that being said , would be happy Bay sailing for a couple of years. Till I get the Wife and Kids comfortable and happy little Yachties!
Old 05-31-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info,

I think I have found a Hartley 18 in resonable nick, 'Woody' - a Hartley 18, is For Sale | Sail And Oar
Here's the "official" advert: http://www.hartleyyachtclub.com.au/sales/woody2a.doc

"Woody" has an excellent pedigree with the TS18-21 YC and has had a string of good owners in her long life (including a past-Commodore of the Hartley YC, now sailing a bigger boat) but was actually in in pretty good nick last I saw her. Being a Mk1 and set up for cruising she's unlikely to win any races, but for a sea-kindly day-sailer/bay cruiser that certainly seems like a reasonable price to me. Well worth a look and a trial sail if you haven't done so already.

Quote:
(found a pretty good Hartley 28 in Gippsland, no trailer though)

I have found a couple of keel boats.But permanent moorings are proving a little difficult to find around Geelong/ Balnaring area. Coastal sailing is definatley part of the plan. But that being said , would be happy Bay sailing for a couple of years. Till I get the Wife and Kids comfortable and happy little Yachties!
A Hartley 28 isn't a trailable yacht - not unless you own a truck. A 24 is about the biggest I know of anyone trailering, and then only behind a Range Rover! Large trailerable yachts don't always make financial sense if you add the cost of a new 4x4 into the equation.

As far as permanent moorings go, I'd think Limeburners (Lagoon Boat Club) would be your only chance near Geelong. I think there's a reasonable waiting list, but you if you bought a boat on a mooring you might be able to get the mooring also. The waiting list for RGYC is better, but them's marina prices..
Old 06-01-2012

Thanks Mate,

I am quite keen about her the more I think about it. Good price and if I can jam the wife a kids onto an 18' , they will think a 35' to 40' is a cruise ship! Need some tips on cost/easiest way to refinish the hull, if you have any thoughts?
Appriciate your feedback!

Dean
Old 06-02-2012

I've answered my own question. Join the Hartley TS18-21 Club! Checked out the website and the seller advised me about the cradle for hire! Problem solved