Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012

greentree8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Long time dreamer, recent sailer

I actually ended up finding another dagger on CL and it had a new mast step and mast. So, one sits at my sister's house for her kids, and the other sits here at my house...I did end up fashioning a step out of two pieces of oak...about 1/2 thick each, one with a hole the shape of the mast, and the other has a bottom shaped to the recess in the deck. I have not tried it yet...some how some of the shroud adjusters are missing their pins...anyway, let me know how I can help...I have done a lot of glass work/repair on this and cut an inspection port. It's amazing how much lighter the boat is now that it's all dried up inside. Could barely lift it with 2 people at first, now I can easily lift it with 2 guys, and move it around with 1.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2012

mallemang is on a distinguished road

that's great that you found another one. If you wouldn't mind please post some pictures of the new mast step (and of your repair work). It's gotta have a pin or something to go inside the mast bottom... also it has to let the main halyard run free also out of a hole in the bottom of the mast. also, if you found any other references for the Dagger I'd appreciate that too. another question...the drain hole in the stern, is that only for draining the hollow between inner and outer hull? the only way i can drain the "person" area (don't know what that part of the boat is called...where we sit :-) " is to bail it out. thanks so much for your reply.
Old 07-17-2012

Back on page 1 there is a small pic of my wooden step...no hole in the bottom for the halyard, mine actually attaches to a cleat on the side of the mast, and then I bring the rest down around the mast to the figure 8 thingy and wrap it there for security.

I think the inside part where you sit is called the cockpit, well, it's really just for your feet right? Yeah, you have to bail by hand...although I think there is an aftermarket auto bailer you can install...I have them on my other sailboat and they work great when you are moving pretty fast through the water. But as far as this boat...that drain plug in the transom/stern part is just to drain any stray water that gets inside the hull...it really shouldn't because it's a "sealed" hull, but probably only for the first few years of the boat!

I'll post more pics of my step and repairs...If i forget, send me a reminder post.
Old 07-17-2012

Oh, also, I can send specs on the dagger..I have the original that I restored...
Old 07-17-2012

I found a manual online and in the attached snippet it looks like a flat hook...and also shows that halyard coming out the bottom...that's what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Long time dreamer, recent sailer-mast-step.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012

Yep, that's what mine looked like too I think. However I don't think it's critical. Would you mind sharing that manual you found? Or where did you get it? I have been having a hard time finding any info on the Dagger...
Old 07-17-2012

absolutely I found the manual here: Chrysler Sailors
select the tab... documentation->chrysler->14'dagger->manual and voila...there it is!

I have a friend who works at a cnc machine shop and I'll get him to fabricate it out of 5/16" aluminum stock. I already order two of the 6" inspection ports from these guys.... https://www.apsltd.com/

Mark