Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012

RockyCoastline207 is on a distinguished road
22 ft Sailboat for beginner

I am looking to buy my first sailboat, based on the info below does anyone have a good suggestion?

size: 22 ft
Ballasted keel
location: Portland, Maine (Ocean) - boat will be docked all summer
"easy" to sail - a forgiving boat for a fist timer
cabin sleeps 2 or 3 comfortably
large cockpit
Price range: under 5k

I would like to use the boat primarily for weekend trips as well as casual day cruising. I would like a boat that is fast as well as comfortable, I have looked at the Catalina 22, Cal 22, O'day, and Bristol. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Re: 22 ft Sailboat for beginner

Also check out the Mull-designed Ranger 23.
Good all 'round performance with a cruisible interior.

L
Old 06-23-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Rocky,

Keep an open mind about sleeping more than two "comfortably" in a 22 footer. While they can fit three people, and my first boat, a 22 footer, claimed to sleep 5 (yeah RIGHT), it certainly wasn't comfortable and you should expect zero privacy.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-29-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Keep an open mind about sleeping more than two "comfortably" in a 22 footer. While they can fit three people, and my first boat, a 22 footer, claimed to sleep 5 (yeah RIGHT), it certainly wasn't comfortable and you should expect zero privacy.
I guess this depends on how you define comfort. My boat could sleep a maximum of four which would be one in each quarter berth and two sharing the vee berth. I guess you would then have to put the porta-potti in the cockpit. I suppose you could theoretically hang a privacy curtain from the boom.

If you define comfort though as living space then four in my boat would be a joke. The two seats are the tops of the quarter berths and they only hold one each. To have four inside the boat you would still have to have two lying on the vee berth; there simply is no other sitting room.

The notion of comfort is flexible. I've seen people with boats where the interior had nothing, no cooking facilities, no sink, not even storage for a porta-potti. I think the interior of a West Wight Potter 15 is like this. But I've seen people happy with this because they didn't have to pay for a camping site. They just anchored and slept on their boat. But I assume they wouldn't want to spend much time there when not sleeping.

My cabin is not really a place to hang out. I suppose two people could get in out of the rain and not be too crowded. But if I had to spend much time there I would rather have more space like a Macgregor 26 has. Actually I have a fairly good perspective on this because I went on a trip with my wife and parents in a 30' travel trailer. That was just enough living space for four. However, with a tiny six gallon hot water heater you really couldn't have four people taking a shower. My mother got the shower and the rest of us trekked over to the bathhouse.

A MacGregor 26 technically has a head compartment but it doesn't have a shower. So, a Mac26 is really more of a weekender; you need to have access to some real facilities. If you just need a soft place to lie down then a quarter berth works about the same as a camp cot. But if you plan to spend more time in the cabin than just sleeping, you'll want some elbow room.
1980 Southcoast Boats Explorer #34
Copy of International 21.
No connection to South Coast Seacraft.
Old 06-30-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Be aware that most 22-ft sailboats have about the interior room of a small apartment's bathroom, with about half to two-thirds of the headroom (no pun intended). Now, imagine locking yourself in said bathroom with one or two other folks (and sleeping, eating, and pooping) for the weekend. If you think that sounds like something you can deal with, there are several boats in that size/price range. But a Santana 22 (if you can find one in Maine) would probably be at the top of my list.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-30-2012
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

My personal bias is towards the Capri 22. It's spartan, but has 2 huge quarter berths 7' each, and the V is acceptable for 1. The cockpit is large at 8 feet, sails good even in the wing keel config. The wing keel is for shallow water, and easy trailering, but sails decent... the Fin is a better sailing boat (arguably), but is harder to launch, if you want to got wide open on your config out of the box, get the fin keel tall rig.

It's a really forgiving boat, but is faster than most cruisers the same size.

I'll also second the Santana as a nice boat.

Another great boat, but good luck finding one at $5k is a precision 23. The precision 21 is also a great buy if you can find one.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.

Tags
begginer , catalina 22 , ocean , sailboat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.