Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012

ktvogels is on a distinguished road
happy new "old" boat owner

Hi everyone! My name is Katie. Hubby and I just bought a 1976 Bayliner Buccaneer. We were turned on to sailing by my sister in law, and have been wanting a boat of our own for a few years. I have seen a lot of contradicting info, when it comes to this boat, but she suits our needs perfectly. She also needs quite a bit of repairs. Oddly enough, this was why we bought her! The youngest of our 3 children, has special needs and we needed a boat that would be roomy enough for us, plus all her equiptment. Our plan is to gut her completely and remodel her interior to match our families needs
Most of the things that need to be done are pretty easy to figure out, but we are stumped when it comes to the replacement windows. We see alotof recommendations to NOT use screws when attaching windows. However, at the marine store the guy told us to stick with the original design. We would like to repair the holes already in the window area from the existing windows (some are no longer screw holes just half moons from wear and tear) then apply the new windows directly onto the boat like we hhabe seen done with other boats. I guess my question is... If your original boat windowsnwere framed and then screwdriver in, do we have to screw in replacement windows? Cant we just further new windows larger then the hole, patch the oldscrew holes and mount the new ones on her? Whew, that's a lot!
Looking forward to getting to know you
Ktvogels
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: happy new "old" boat owner

I think you mean refitting over sized windows on the boat??? If so, what's the plan for sealing them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2012

Yes, that is correct. We are still researching the best sealant. Mostly we are being told what NOT to use. Most if the DIY websites recommend using a two part primer/sealant system, which is what we will use.
Old 07-07-2012
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktvogels View Post
Yes, that is correct. We are still researching the best sealant. Mostly we are being told what NOT to use. Most if the DIY websites recommend using a two part primer/sealant system, which is what we will use.
I've watched as boat repairman and once even a boat designer refit windows. Drilling holes in the Lexan, polycarbonate or Acrylic windows is OK as long as the plastic thickness is at least 5/16" to 3/8" thick and the mounting holes substantially over-sized (1/4" fastener in a 3/8" hole). It's just a matter of sealing with silicone based products, which is the only place on a boat silicone is useful. It's been used to seal flexible windows for years when used for glazing purposes in the commercial building industry. But I'm sure you guys already know all of this...

Big job... good luck

Old 07-07-2012

Thanks, we'll see how it goes anything is better than what she has now... I figure it's all a learning process, and we are excited about ALL the things we will be learning!