Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: First Boat Owner Endeavour 32 Over our head?

For starters, welcome to sailnut.

Secondly, while I would not say the E 32 is a normal 'starter' boat I am a bit jealous. I have a friend who has an early 1980's E 32 shoal draft that he keeps on the Chesapeake. The cabin is truly spacious compared to my little 27 footer. We have had 6 adults on board for overnight excursions which is about the max for sleeping on board.
My friend left his E 32' in the water for nearly 5 winters on the Chessy and he did end up with some blistering on the hull. Since you are in Chicago I doubt you will leave your boat in the water over the winter. Hauling out for the winter gives the hull a chance to dry out, which reduces the likely hood of getting blisters.

Do you know which version of the E 32' you have? Shoal draft (4'6") or deep keel (6')?

You have quite a bit of boat to get to know. I'll recommend you go through every system your boat has, find out if it is working and how it works. One of the best books for this is Nigel Caulder's "Boatowners Mechanical & Electrical Manual"
Amazon.com: Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems (9780070096189): Nigel Calder: Books Amazon.com: Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems (9780070096189): Nigel Calder: Books

I'll mention a few of these 'systems': hot water, pressured water, shower sump pump, VHF radio, all electronics on your electrical panel, head (toilet), sink drain, propane locker and stove. Stuff that is related to actually sailing the boat: wheel quadrant steering, traveler, out haul (on boom), any gauges you may have (wind, depth, speed), spinnaker pole.
The engine has it's own sub-systems that are important as well: heat exchanger, alternator, stuffing box...
Which engine do you have in your E 32?

There is a lot to get familiar with but don't get overwhelmed. Do go out and sail and enjoy the boat while you are learning about it.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012

Nielsen01 is on a distinguished road
I have placed the order for Nigels book. I have begun familiarizing myself with some of the systems easy access to them but will doc deeper once i get my book. As for the engine we have the Yanmar 3GMD which im told is adequate for the boat. Thanks for the tip on the book and slight added aprehension with all to get to know. Its the good kind of excitement though.
Cheers!
Old 07-25-2012

Nielsen01 is on a distinguished road
Forgot to mention "shoal draft"
Old 08-12-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I think the E32 is a great starter boat....but since I own one also my perspective may be a bit biased!

That being said, the E32 has a simple rig and fairly simple systems. Get out and sail!

Here's a link to the Endeavour owner's site if you haven't found it already.....

Endeavour Sailboat Owners Forum
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 08-13-2012

freedom40 is on a distinguished road

I owned a 32 Endeavour for 5 years,A very easy boat to sail,well build with a lot of room for 32 ft, shalow draft 4.5 if I remember,makes it nice for getting into thin water.
But it will not point well,if you add tracks it will help.but for cruising it is great,even if it won't win any racers.If it has the 20 hp yanma it is a good engine,a little noisey but simple and enough power for that boat.
Enjoy Greg

Tags
chicago , e32 , newbie , where to start