Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012

Nielsen01 is on a distinguished road
First Boat Owner Endeavour 32 Over our head?

Diving in head first. Looking for suggestions on where to begin to learn while getting her ready for the water. We happened to stumble on an opportunity of a lifetime and couldnt pass on her. Endeavour 32 with a solid hull, clean interior and only needing a good cleaning and a little love. We have had a small power boat many years ago but ZERO sailing. I know this might be a bit big to start out on but considering she was practically given to us we couldnt say no... Any suggestions on where to begin would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to any and all info.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
First Boat Owner Endeavour 32 Over our head?

Start by taking her out and motoring around to get a sense of her handling under power. Also a good chance to make sure all is well with the engine - chances are it will need work. I think the boat size is fine, but you should consider the Asa classes to learn to sail.
Old 07-16-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Endeavour owners group on FB depending where you live might be able to direct you to local resources.
Old 07-16-2012
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat Owner Endeavour 32 Over our head?

Get a sailor to take you out and show you the basics. From there, just practice and things will progress. Read as much as you can when you are not sailing, learn to read charts, ask questions, talk to as many sailors as you can, don't listen or believe everything sailors will tell you as many exagerate...you'll see what I mean soon. Just got out and have fun.
Old 07-17-2012

cadteach is on a distinguished road

My first is a Islander 30, new to sailing as well. All will be fine, take it slow, read, spend time on here, learn as much as possible and enjoy.
Old 07-17-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Don't make the mistake of getting the boat and parking it to "fix it up" Get out there and use it! Those that get boats to work on and have never sailed them.. just loose interest and wind up selling or trying to sell another project boat!
Jus sayin...

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Where to start. Before you take the boat anyplace, call the local US Coast Guard Auxiliary (USCGAux) and ask about getting a courtesy inspection. This is FREE and there is NO PENALTY if you do not pass. They'll come aboard to check all the safety equipment, give you a list of anything that's missing, and if you've got everything you get a "do not disturb" decal to put on the boat. And the comfort of knowing that you WILL PASS a safety inspection if any other agency stops you on the water, where failing results in a summon$.

Assuming you've got an old inboard engine in unknown condition, you might also want to try (try, it isn't easy) to find a diesel mechanic to come out and check over the engine with you. Diesels need very little routine maintenance but there items that may need adjusting, and he should be able to show you how to change the fuel filters and bleed the fuel system. On an older boat, you may also want or need to clean out the fuel tank, which can be a PITA but a key to a reliable engine.

And you're not even sailing yet. (G)

I'd suggest sailing lessons, and some couples prefer to take them separately. A typical "ASA 100" basic sailing lessons could be three days, split over two weekends, with half the time on the water. There must be some sailing schools listed in Chicago, the USCGAux folks or your local "US Power Squadron" chapter should be able to refer you.

I find a 32 is a comfortable size boat, big enough for all the amenities and small enough so that if you make a mistake, you can still resort to brute force if the boat argues with you. No matter how good the deal, no matter how well you knew the last owners, don't assume that ANYTHING is safe or reliable. Boats have a way of surprising you, and you need to put eyes and fingers on everything. Sometimes a lifeline isn't secure, sometimes the rigging isn't as solid as it looks. There are books and web sites devoted to the mechanics of a boat. I'd suggest finding a couple (swap them) and devoting a good half day to simply starting at the pointy end and working your way back, inspecting eveyrthing up close and making sure it has no problems. Bring lunch and cold drinks, and if your mechanic is as prompt as most contractors, you can do that while you're waiting for him or the USCGAux folks to show up.

You might also want a membership in BoatUS with the unlimited towing option. Not that you are likely to run aground out there--but if something breaks down, a tow back to the docks can be way more expensive than calling the AAA on the highway. Until you know your engine is reliable, along with the sailing parts, that's something to consider.
Old 07-18-2012

Sound advice and a good start.

Thanks everyone for chiming in and taking time to offer new folks some good advice on where to start. I look forward to adding our 2 cents once we bot a season or 2 or 10 under our belt. Thanks again and we'll post updates as they happen.

Cheers
Jack & Penny
Old 07-24-2012

Bottom paint quandry

Hull is now sanded and all looks good. No blisters. I went down to the barrier paint (and to fiberglass insome spots.STUPID I now know) We are getting mixed instructions from here. Some say i must remove all barrier paint and apply new barrier and then ablative. Some say if no blisters are.found barrier is not needed. I want to do this right but without breakin the bank. Ive attached a pic.. Hoping it helps even if only a little. Thanks all.
Cheers
J & P
Old 07-24-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Some say if no blisters are.found barrier is not needed."
This is true--for now. But as long as it HAS been barrier coated, I'd suggest keeping the coating and restoring the spots where you took it off, since barrier coating also serves to improve the odds against blisters in the FUTURE.
Unless of course your goal is racing, and scrubbing off another 20# of paint makes you that much faster. (VBG)

When in doubt, ask the folks who make the coating.

Tags
chicago , e32 , newbie , where to start