Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012

Famoffour is on a distinguished road
Future sailer

Hi all
I came across this community a couple days ago while looking for a boat to buy.
I love all the posts people here are really helpful. So after 2 days of just reading all the threads (well not all but allot) I decided to join.
I have alot of questions. We are a fam. Of 4 our children are 3 and 9.
My husband shared the idea of buying a boat and living on it. At first I thought he had lost it. Until I started reading about it. I guess there's lots of families who do it. We have have two houses that we would have to rent out cause we are to upside down to sell. But that's ok I've been renting one now for 3 yrs. Anyways. But life has become to complicated. 15 yrs ago we were living in 30 ft 5th wheel with his two children and I loved it. The freedom and no stress. I remember being very happy back then.
My husband has mechanical experience working for dodge. And can rip any engine apart and put it back together also the past 10 yrs he's drove truck and can pretty much drive anything. He also has been diving for 20 yrs. so I think with all the up keep that goes with a boat we have somewhat of an advantage.
I really would like some input. Are we just crazy? As everyone is telling us. We just figure we are not getting any younger 38 and 43 so why not. Our main plan is to get the boat live on it learn to sail than eventually move to Maui on it. We have his son there and other family members there. However they all work 2 jobs 7 days a week just to pay for rent there. That's not how I want to live. So our solution is this. Our son said you can buy a mooring there out right for 3000 but slips are 20yr waiting lists. That way we wouldn't be paying high rent. All suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Future sailer

Welcome aboard!
Are you crazy?
Nope.
As you point out- you own two houses that you are upside down on and you're not in hawaii.
Might as well buy a boat and rent the houses. You'll still be upside down, but you are upside down...in hawaii.
think it through, but don't overthink it. Most of the best decisions in our lives are decisions made quickly. If it's something you really want to do, you will really find a way to do it.

10 years ago, or even 5 years ago my advice may have been different but let's face it- the employment market, the economy, the real estate market, NONE of it is turning around quickly. The advantages of creating a meticulous 10 year plan and carefully plotting ROI and tracking your 401(k) while watching mortgage rates and property values and maximizing net return and saving for a rainy day and...
and then i2f died and cardiacpaul died and I realized that it's raining already. life is too damn short and kids grow up too damn fast to keep chasing the cheese with the rest of the rats.

Just go. Find a way to take care of the day to day and let the long term fall the way it's gonna fall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2012

Thank you for the encouragement! Our family is so negative on this. Mainly cause of our kids. And I do understand their points but I don't believe that the main way is the right way yes our kids have alot of " stuff" but they have also stressed out un happy parents.
Thank you again.
Old 08-15-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Sailnet.

Do your homework. Then do some more.

You don't mention actually knowing how to sail. Do you want a sailboat or a powerboat? You just say "boat." Do you want to get underway or just live on it in the marina? Probably you should start there because each has different maintenance issues. Both may have an engine, sure, but sailboats have rigging and other stuff a powerboat doesn't.

You mentioned a mooring. There won't be electricity on a mooring ball.

Also, with kids, you'll want to be extra safety-conscious. Check out the Liveaboard section in this forum and in particular the threads about kids on board. Personally I think kids growing up on boats are just as or even more well-adjusted than those brought up in houses.

I'm not in your shoes, but if I was, I'd try not to stress out about it because the kids will sense that. If you can, turn it into an adventure and a learning experience with them. Include them, if you can, in some of the decision making (at least the 9 year old).

I've had kids as young as ten in my boating courses and they do fantastic. It's always fun to be surprised by how much they retain.

I can't end without highly recommending a safe boating course.

Good luck on your journey and have fun with it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-15-2012

Oh sorry I should of said sail boat. But yes safety is one of my main concerns because live on board there is no room for mistakes like opps I left the door open and now my 3yr old is up there running around. I'm very concerned and am already planning on taking the nesesary courses for safety and CPR and hat ever else. No neither of us have sailed before that would be somthing that we would have to learn. I have read take the sailing courses and than have read just do it yourself with baby steps. Some people say just read allot. I think hiring a captain to show us might be good cause u get the one on one. (input welcomed) our plan is to live at the marina for a year and learn all we can about sailing and lifestyle before we take the hudge plunge. I also liked your comment about kids who live on boats I have seen alot of mixed reviews on that topic and all I'm going off is we had my husbands kids in 30 ft fifth wheel and it was tight but we were happy with less back then. Our lifestyle is out of control way to much. my kids I hate to say are very spoiled and I'm trying to change that among allot of other things
Thank you again for the input
Old 08-15-2012

I forgot to address the mooring and no electricity now please correct me if I'm wrong ,I'm still learning we thought with solar panels and a wind generator would be fine on a mooring cause you still have the engine also to charge everthing up also we been looking at compost toilets for that same reason.
mooring I know is ruffling it but HI Maui just don't have slips and that's where our family is. Maybe I'm not being realistic but I've read allot of people live this way??? It seems really practical and green
Old 08-15-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I may be wrong, but I don't think that electrical plan will keep a family of four, with two young children, civilized for long. You might need to factor in a generator.

Living on a mooring you'll also have to add a dinghy to your budget.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-15-2012

See that's great to know cause I don't know how much power those solar and windmills generate. We have discussed a generator and you make a valid important point I will tell hubby

Tags