interested in sailing the open seas. But in need of some asistance - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012

ZimBoy is on a distinguished road
interested in sailing the open seas. But in need of some asistance

Hello good people, ok i have just recently inherited a good sum of money and i have been thinking, imaganing, dreaming and planning on getting off the main land and setting of to live and cruise the waters. i am currently searching for the perfect vessel for what will become my new life. i am not a proficcient sailor and because of the i have been looking at 43' luxury motor sports yachts. i was wondering if it would be reasonable to attempt to live and cruise in one of those types of yachts without going broke too soon?
Please aid me in this life changing prosess im attempting to jum into.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: interested in sailing the open seas. But in need of some asistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimBoy View Post
... i am not a proficcient sailor and because of the i have been looking at 43' luxury motor sports yachts...
You realize this is a site for sailors on sailboats, right? Less than a handful of people here with that type of boat and probably even less on the site using one to cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimBoy View Post
i was wondering if it would be reasonable to attempt to live and cruise in one of those types of yachts without going broke too soon?
Please aid me in this life changing prosess im attempting to jum into.
It largely depends on how much your inheritance was. But on a powerboat you'll run out of fuel sooner or later and won't have sails as backup. Unless you are limiting your area to coastal cruising, you'll have to buy a boat with enough fuel storage to cross an ocean and that eats further into your money, both the size boat you'll need and the amount of fuel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-16-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: interested in sailing the open seas. But in need of some asistance

I would not invest a penny in your proposed lifestyle without trying it out first. The general consensus is that 60% of people who think this is the life for them bag out in the first year. Go crew on someone else's boat. Charter a boat for a couple of weeks (even that is not enough to really understand this lifestyle.) Get some experience before you shell out big bucks.

The reason we all own sailboats is that fuel costs are prohibitive. Are you prepared to shell out $10,000 for fuel to go from Miami to New York? One Way? Spend some time in any marina and you will discover that the power boats almost never go out.

Good luck to you.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog: