SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New to it all

890 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  AmorylTheWanderer 
#1 ·
hey folks, found this site while daydreaming over sailboats, and saw how every time I googled a question, a thread in this forum popped up at or near the top.

first off, name's Tim, mid 30's, no kids, currently in the SF Bay Area, I'm pre-new to sailing and haven't managed to be on a boat since highschool hanging out on my friend's dad's boat. I couldn't even begin to tell you what it was, but I recall it being a 25'er or thereabouts. I loved every second spent on it (far too few for my tastes, but hey, friend's dad not mine)

my dream is to have a small single manned boat that I can sail practically anywhere, and essentially live in for weeks/months at a time. It'd be pretty much just me as all the women who seem to pass into my life have no love of water deeper than knee high.

It'll also be at least a couple years before I can swing even a cheap boat, so if anyone has advice on how and where to go about learning to sail without actually owning the boat, I could hopefully have a head start on learning the boat I eventually buy.

Mostly for now I'm looking for general knowledge, a bit of socialization, and future fantasy/reality refinement.

I get the feeling I'm going to like it here, and learn a great deal along the way

See less See more
#4 ·
@carolyn: thanks for the advice, I'll look into that. I wouldn't have thought any crew would want a chubby guy with no real experience, but I suppose everyone's gotta get some experience somewhere.

@Chuck: sadly, that won't be an option. as I would have absolutely nowhere to stow a boat and trailer. the curse of an apartment dweller in CA, eh? when I finally manage to make the leap I already understand that I'm going to have to rent a slip in a harbor. which honestly seems far more likely affordable than buying a house anywhere around here

#7 ·
ATW,

Chuck's right. Check out "The Complete Trailer Sailor" for great info as well as a list of boats of various sizes. But . . . dry sail the thing. By that I mean, some marinas will store boats on trailers for a modest fee. They will even launch for as little as $20. SO you buy a cute little 23 footer on a trailer for $4000 and dry sail for say $500/year. Not a bad deal really.

#8 ·
It'd be pretty much just me as all the women who seem to pass into my life have no love of water deeper than knee high.
Tim, first, welcome aboard.
Second, find new women. Don't worry, a boat can help. Cool chicks dig boats.
Third, get a new username, because you just know you're gonna become known as Armorall.
Fourth, you will end up with a boat sooner than you think.
Fifth, if you want to learn how to sail, the simple answer is, go sailing! There are always folks looking for crew, whether it be for racing or simply a warm body to help haul sheets on a sunny afternoon- all you have to do is ask, and you'll likely be turning down opportunities.

#10 ·
Tim, first, welcome aboard.
Second, find new women. Don't worry, a boat can help. Cool chicks dig boats.
Third, get a new username, because you just know you're gonna become known as Armorall.
sorry, was offline for a few weeks whilst moving.

heh this is my old fighting (funny clothes, foam padded stick weapons...) name, and believe me, I DID get called many things, Armorall being one of the nicer ones ;) truth is though, it DOES seem a bit...clunky for a forum name. I was kinda rushed while registering and picked the least elegant option of a name.

I'd certainly intend to meet MORE women. the GF, while lacking interest in sailing, is not in any way opposed to ME sailing, and being gone for days, weeks, etc. at the time. I heard Billy Connolly in an interview once talk about how he lives in NY when not on set, and his wife lives on her yacht, and they get together about 4 or so times a year for a couple weeks at a time, have a ball, and go back to their individual lives. we're a bit like that...well we will be when we finally manage to get our broader individual lives.

thanks for all the warm welcomes

#9 ·
Hi amorylthewanderer

I took the basic sailing course in July. The marina I took it at has races every Wednesday night. I go there about an hour before the boats leave the dock, and check-in with the bartender. I always find someone that is looking for another crew hand. Also, you can add your name to the 'crew bank' at your local marinas.

Good luck
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.