SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Here to learn from Kirkland, WA (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/91370-here-learn-kirkland-wa.html)

paleodude 08-26-2012 03:18 PM

Here to learn from Kirkland, WA

I am completely beginner and committed to learn. I need guidance on searching, buying, learning to sail, basics of all.
I am looking for helping individuals in the area, to be introduced to the life of a sailor, live aboard, offshore cruiser. Any advice and information is appreciated.
Laszlo

AmorylTheWanderer 08-27-2012 12:31 AM

Re: Here to learn from Kirkland, WA

hey welcome from another newbie! I loved Kirkland, wouldn't mind living there again some day. close enough to the city to have fun, just far enough away to escape the assorted crap.

cdavidscee@msn.com 08-27-2012 09:31 AM

Hi welcome. Here's my story, I am now cruising Mexico and will be in Central America in a couple months after hurricane season. So recomendations that worked well for me were: Go find a club and go to the monthly meeting let them know you want to crew. If after that you are still are interested buy/rent a small boat (under 18 feet). Get out there Lake Washington offers some great sailing. If that does not scare you off take it out in heavy weather which requires reefing learn to sail in tough conditions. Buy/rent biger boat do same. Crew offshore. Read everything you can. Get a ham radion lic, learn navagation etc. I prepared for twenty years and now here I am and loving it. Good luck :"Nothing is so worthwhile as simply messing around in boats" Not shure who was first with this but for me true. Dave

paleodude 08-27-2012 11:39 AM

Thanks Dave. Great advice. I will join a club soon and follow your footsteps. I am not young anymore, but in few years I should be able to do some sailing. Rough weather does not bother me, but I will need to learn all the nautical terms and names. English is my second language and while I am reading the related books, I have no idea about some of the terms mentioned. So, the hands-on experience will be the way to learn. Laszlo

blt2ski 08-28-2012 11:31 PM

There is/was a club in downtown kirkland that you can take lessons at, and rent/use the boats. Two others operate locally out of Shilshoal also. If you can find a 48north print rag, check out West marin in bellevue closer than the seattle, everett stores I would imagine, or fisheries on the north end of lake union. they will have them. As will many of the local marina's in the main office's. Also some marine retail boat places, like the hobie dealer that I believe is still in town might have them, or other boat sales places, Especially if they sell sailboats. yachting is another that would have some places you can get lessons etc at.

Also IIRC, march issue of 48 north has about 3-5 pages on local with in puget sound region sailing lesson places. As I am typing this, one of probably the largest schools is Sail Sandpoint.

Marty

Zabriskie 09-11-2012 05:49 PM

Paleodude,

I just recently took up an interest in sailing and I am on the Eastside as well (Sammamish). Have you found anything specific yet? If you have started along as a beginner, I would love to hear your progress.

Zabriskie

DJ Lifeguard 09-16-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paleodude (Post 914399)
I am completely beginner and committed to learn. I need guidance on searching, buying, learning to sail, basics of all.
I am looking for helping individuals in the area, to be introduced to the life of a sailor, live aboard, offshore cruiser. Any advice and information is appreciated.
Laszlo

Hi Paleodude,

Check out www[dot]seattlesailing[dot]com] Seattle Sailing Club. That's the club I belong to - the Seattle Sailing Club out of Shilshole Bay marina near Ballard. There are all levels of courses to take and, with club membership, you can have access to the boats. I go out at least once every week. :)

Steve

paleodude 09-16-2012 03:47 PM

Thanks Steve.

I love Shilshole marina but it is a long drive for me. Plus, 520 is a toll bridge now. I will either do a club in Kirkland, or at the UW, where I work. But I envy your sailings.

Laszlo

paleodude 09-16-2012 03:50 PM

Zabriskie.

I have not joined any club, yet. I am still settling down in Kirkland. But few months from now, I might start my learning.
I went to the boat show yesterday, but there were only very few sailboats. Mainly larger size and out of my range, budget. It seems that renting and crewing will be my learning path. Serious savings will allow me to buy my own boat, but that is many years away.

Laszlo