Architecture Student outsider to sailing. Hello and help me please? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012

asksteevs is on a distinguished road
Architecture Student outsider to sailing. Hello and help me please?

Hey BW Sailing community,

I am TOTALLY new to the sailing world and have a somewhat unorthodox request for anyone willing to oblige me.

I'm an architecture student at Montana State University and we are doing a design studio based in San Francisco this semester. We're doing a sailing-themed project and our professor has suggested we look into BW Sailing, Sail, and other magazines as a possible resource.

Now I've always been a distant admirer of sailing in general, but like I say have practically no knowledge of it. I'm wondering if anyone out there would be willing to loan/sell a stack of old issues of a magazine you suggest so I don't sound like an idiot when I talk about sailing all this semester. I would just subscribe but time is too short and I need the info as soon as possible.

I'm also interested in any info you may have on the 'critical' introductory reading to be able to talk about/design something around sailing.

I really appreciate your consideration and hope you all can be willing to afford an 'outsider' a peek into your noble sport/craft/pastime/lifestyle that is sailing.

Thanks!

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Architecture Student outsider to sailing. Hello and help me please?

I've got some old sailing magazines but it would not be worth it to ship them to you.

Really, the best way to begin any understanding about sailboats is to learn the language of sailing. There are lots of places on the web you can start learning from right now.

Big and small boat rigging basics: http://www.glen-l.com/free-book/rigging-small-sailboats.htm

The same place also sells plans/designs for boats you can make yourself: Build Your Own Boat

Here are some more advanced concepts that are affected by design: Helm Balance – Center of Effort, Lateral Resistance, Centerboard, Mast Rake - Waves « Jordan Yacht Brokerage

Some of the (still) existing boat makers who might tout their composite (fiberglass) boat building technology:
BENETEAU USA - Sailboats & Powerboats
Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts
Hunter Marine is now Marlow-Hunter

if you can sift through their marketing hype. Some may still offer factory tours.

Then there are a bunch of magazines that are online.

Good luck.

Last edited by CalebD; 08-27-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Very basic, but covers the subject matter. Wife used this to learn.

Amazon.com: Fast Track to Cruising: How to Go from Novice to Cruise-Ready in Seven Days (9780071406727): Steve Colgate, Doris Colgate: Books Amazon.com: Fast Track to Cruising: How to Go from Novice to Cruise-Ready in Seven Days (9780071406727): Steve Colgate, Doris Colgate: Books

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-27-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asksteevs View Post
Hey BW Sailing community,

I am TOTALLY new to the sailing world and have a somewhat unorthodox request for anyone willing to oblige me.

I'm an architecture student at Montana State University and we are doing a design studio based in San Francisco this semester. We're doing a sailing-themed project and our professor has suggested we look into BW Sailing, Sail, and other magazines as a possible resource.

Now I've always been a distant admirer of sailing in general, but like I say have practically no knowledge of it. I'm wondering if anyone out there would be willing to loan/sell a stack of old issues of a magazine you suggest so I don't sound like an idiot when I talk about sailing all this semester. I would just subscribe but time is too short and I need the info as soon as possible.

I'm also interested in any info you may have on the 'critical' introductory reading to be able to talk about/design something around sailing.

I really appreciate your consideration and hope you all can be willing to afford an 'outsider' a peek into your noble sport/craft/pastime/lifestyle that is sailing.

Thanks!

Steve
From your post I am assuming you are actually in San Francisco. If so, you might contact some of the local yacht clubs--St. Frances, Golden Gate, Sausalito, particularly the Richmond YC etc., explain your needs to the Clubs' managers/Secretaries, and you'll likely be given access to their Libraries. Moreover, many of the Clubs have members that are part of the local design professional community and I suspect that any number of them would be helpful with information and worthwhile contacts in future. (You can also, of course, go to the local Public Library where you will find many of the publications you might use.)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-27-2012

Thank you guys for your replies and the resources. I really appreciate your time. While I've got your attention, what kind of potential can you see in a possible architecture project? I mean this will all be hypothetical this semester but what kind of facilities/venue could you see a potential need for in the industry? Some kind of super-marina? Sailing school or outreach center? I dunno I guess what could you see coming out of collaboration between architecture and sailing?

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you guys for your replies and the resources. I really appreciate your time. While I've got your attention, what kind of potential can you see in a possible architecture project? I mean this will all be hypothetical this semester but what kind of facilities/venue could you see a potential need for in the industry? Some kind of super-marina? Sailing school or outreach center? I dunno I guess what could you see coming out of collaboration between architecture and sailing?

Thanks again.
When I was in Arch graduate school, we were confronted with a design problem that involved developing a design for a waterfront resort/sailing facility to be situated in Belize in an environmentally fragile reef area. My design proposal was based upon something I observed while walking along the beach-front with my wife as the surf rolled in and...Bucky Balls...as, at the time, Buckminster Fuller and his design concepts were all the rage (think Epcot).

Think about it...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-27-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The choice of San Francisco for your sailing/architecture project at this point in history is significant since it will be the site of the next America's Cup.

But as a practicing architect myself, I think that you have a wide range of influences when approaching a design dealing with the interface of sailing and architecture.

Your project can explore the intersection of land and water:
  • How should a building touch the water?
  • How much should the building seem to connect with the natural world, and how much should the building provide a sense of enclosure and protection from the elements?
  • Do you literally bring open water into the building or have places below the surface were you can feel like the building has been brought into the sea? Should the edges feel purposely solid and man-made, or should the be softer and of nature, or something that expresses both?
Then there is sailing itself:
Sailing stands on a threshold which links many disciplines:
  • Bridging a world of being physically demanding and athletic, with
  • The world of science: both physics, (harmonics, materials, hydro- and aerodynamics) and natural (meterology, biological)
  • Linking into a world of the every changing aethetic,
  • Supported by a world of mechanics and engineering.
  • Deriving from a world of commerce transportation and the implication of voyaging using renewable resources and the psychology of implied links to an outside world beyond the horizon.
  • And inextricably connected to the recreation.
In a city like San Francisco you have the chance to interpret a wide range of issues:
  • The historic context of the city itself with its historic architecture and vertical scale, the wide canyon that forms the Bay.
  • The way that the very location of San Fransisco derives from the connection between the sea and the continent beyond.
  • The various cultures which have chosen to arrive at its shores both ancient and modern.
This is a very rich assignment, you should need us to pick a use.....

Soar and enjoy....
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-27-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... what kind of potential can you see in a possible architecture project? I mean this will all be hypothetical this semester but what kind of facilities/venue could you see a potential need for in the industry? Some kind of super-marina?
Well, since you're talking hypothetical...

You know how some people build really long and tall garages with doors at either end to pull in an RV? I think it'd be cool to have a house over the water with part of it tall enough to be an enclosed slip for a sailboat. I would like to walk out of my kitchen, through the mud room and step onto the boat without seeing the sky, load my gear and pull forward and sail away.

We don't need more super marinas. We need houses you can sail through.

Best of luck with your project. It sounds like fun.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-27-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

You may want to read/contact/study SN's own Bob Perry as he is a legendary yacht designer....

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
From your post I am assuming you are actually in San Francisco.
Unfortunately not... I'm in good old Bozeman, MT. We're coming down for one week this month and the whole semester will be based off of that trip. I still appreciate the tips though, may give me places to check out...

Thanks!