Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: New and with a lot of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEss View Post
It makes sense to me now. Not that I've ever docked before, but I can't see how it would be dealt with while dragging something behind you.
Many people tow dinghies and dock and get into slips just fine. When entering a slip stern first you just have to have someone keep the tow line away from the prop and the dinghy alongside the boat (and make sure your slip has enough room for both).

As has been mentioned, if your plan was to tow your belongs behind you, you either need a larger boat or less stuff. You'll figure it out. Figuring stuff out is part of the fun of sailing.

Besides courses and reading, you can find just about every "how to" subject on Youtube as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012
sailorladd

mainmast is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mainmast

all I know is that if we want it bad enough we can make a plan....I was determined and built a boat to suit my needs, you could convert an existing boat to accommodate your height to some degree. see my book on the subject, it describes an easy method to build a boat, or at least it will prove to you that ANYONE can achieve their life's dreams. If however this is just a fad or an idea perhaps you might want to reflect deep within.....
Old 09-05-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

DS,

Get a large trailerable for a few thousand and get out there. Take a course, read some books and get sailing. Then . . . you'll find out weather or knot (misspelling intended) you're a sailor. You'll make some mistakes, loose some paint, loose your lunch, break out your brown trousers and get rained on. At the end of the day, if you still enjoy pealing off a $100 bill and tossing it in the water, then you're a sailor. Then . . . you step up and buy a 35 footer, a slip and good insurance.

D. S.

Biddeford, ME
Old 09-05-2012
sailorladd

Talking Re: New and with a lot of questions

or join a sailing club and offer your services for crewing....
Old 09-10-2012

markinoshawa is on a distinguished road

DeeEss

'A bit of learning to do'?? I've got news for you. I took the 1 week Basic Cruising course in July. It was quite overpowering. Like learning a new language. But it is a lot of fun. You will find a lot of information on here, and taking a course is a must. Now that I have done it, I can see that practice, practice, practice is necessary in order to become a sailor.

Good luck!!
Old 09-10-2012
sailorladd

well, a course is a good start, but ocean cruising is something you don't do just after a weeks course, it's something that one transitions into after years of experience and being completely satisfied with the safety and integrity of you, your crew and your boat. Anything less than that is pure folly ....a good example of this is the book Days of Deja vu, where a horrifying experience for the new crew in a terrible storm off South Africa and where they had to be rescued by the coast guard and had to abandon the home built boat out at sea during this wicked winter storm...
Old 09-10-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

I think you'd have to define "ocean cruising". I've only once been on a lake. We sail only the Atlantic. The differences would be weather/wind/waver reports, proximity to safety and experience. I wouldn't bat an eye at sailing out of the bay on a nice summer day with favorable reports. But, if there's a squall line coming, rising seas, increasing winds, white caps, small craft advisory, I'd stay at home. Heck . . . rain??? Count me out!

The folks cited; new crew, home built boat, raging storm winter storm? They had no business being where they were. Experienced crew, proven boat, plying their trade and get caught with their shorts down . . . different story!
Old 09-10-2012
sailorladd

well, that was my point, once you are out there, you are at the mercy of the elements, regardless of which ocean.. and experienced sailors would have the means of dealing with it, as opposed to someone just fresh from a weeks sailing course Gotto start somewhere though ..