SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New and with a lot of questions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/91431-new-lot-questions.html)

DeeEss 08-28-2012 01:28 AM

New and with a lot of questions

Hey all,

Just thought I'd check in and get some advice.

I'll start by saying I've never sailed in my life, so I obviously have a bit of learning to do. What would be the quickest and cheapest way to do that? Also, I've been browsing boats in order to get an idea of what I'd be getting into, which brings me to two more questions. First off, I'm 6'4" and was wondering what I should be looking for as far as a boat I could stand up in. Secondly, is it possible to tow a floating storage container while sailing?

Capt. Gary Randall 08-28-2012 01:41 AM

Re: New and with a lot of questions

lololo, a floating storage container? I believe you are a genius, develop a floating storage container and sell it to the cruisers.......lol no, seriously you really should decide whether you want a day cruiser or what type of sailing you want to do. The first thing I would do is start with some books and then find a sailing course close to your location......
there are many reputable sailing instructors. captg ps:I am also a 6 foot three there is a boat made for everybody you just need to find the one that fits you.

DeeEss 08-28-2012 02:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. By storage container, I mean something like a small-ish pontoon boat without a motor for hauling supplies, not like transporting cars or anything very heavy. As for what type of sailing I want to do, I'd like to do so long cruises and possibly do the whole liveaboard thing.

crewless 08-28-2012 11:35 AM

New and with a lot of questions

I have no relevant experience here, but may I suggest a reason why the tow behind might be less practical than you think? I think it's a great concept, BTW, don't get me wrong.
Apart from the issues of having it slow you, not knowing if it separated from you at some point, or where, and having it bumping against you, complicating mooring and slip usage, etc., there's this:
What would you store in it?
Given that you'd likely need to be stationary to access the storage, have to board(?) the "trailer", unlock and open what I hope is a watertight portal, get whatever it is out, transfer it to the main vessel, re-secure the trailer, and re-board the boat You now have something on board that you must have room for, but presumably didn't have room for before you did all that, which was why it was in storage in the first place.
My guess is that after going through that about twice, I'd come to some real conclusions about what's in the trailer that I can't live without.

Best regards,
Ron

DeeEss 08-28-2012 01:58 PM

Damn, I hadn't thought about mooring. I figured it'd slow everything down a bit, but I guess it would also needlessly complicate things for the stage I'm at. Any idea on what I should look at for a boat that I can stand up in?

Edit: Forgot to add that the storage would probably be for food and water. I travel light, so most of what I own could easily fit on a boat, however, I tend to be a bit paranoid about food and water whenever I've gone camping in the past and usually end up with about 50% more than what I end up using.

DRFerron 08-28-2012 03:46 PM

I think that once DeeEss gets some experience sailing and more familiarity with sailboats, the towed storage container idea will become clearer as impractical.

DeeEss 08-28-2012 05:53 PM

It makes sense to me now. Not that I've ever docked before, but I can't see how it would be dealt with while dragging something behind you.

mainmast 09-01-2012 01:11 PM

I can relate, I was once in your shoes a life time ago it seems, although I was never 6'4"!! I was young and impetuous and had this DREAM!!! And I was determined to acquire a yacht and sail around the world. I ended up doing just that, and I am happy to answer any questions you might like to ask. I will say that I wrote a book after all was said and done and it included all my thoughts on WHY I wanted to do this, and how I decided to build my boat and how to learn to sail her and navigate her etc. The book is an ebook on amazon and it's called days of deja vu by jonathan reid (me) :) this may sound like a shameless plug, but it is my story from beginning to end with photos and glossary for nautical terms and lots of fun reading...

mainmast 09-01-2012 01:17 PM

I can relate, I was once in your shoes a life time ago it seems, although I was never 6'4"!! I was young and impetuous and had this DREAM!!! And I was determined to acquire a yacht and sail around the world. I ended up doing just that, and I am happy to answer any questions you might like to ask. I will say that I wrote a book after all was said and done and it included all my thoughts on WHY I wanted to do this, and how I decided to build my boat and how to learn to sail her and navigate her etc. The book is an ebook on amazon and it's called days of deja vu by jonathan reid (me) :) this may sound like a shameless plug, but it is my story from beginning to end with photos and glossary for nautical terms and lots of fun reading...

BTW the idea of towing something behind you smacks of having a boat not big enough..... The idea of cruising is to GET AWAY from the clutter in our lives, not to drag it behind us :) I always cruised with 40% more water and food and fuel between points of departure and arrival, you surely don't need a container for that. Besides there are dangerous conditions out there at times when you will absolutely regret having anything tethered to your stern......

sailortrash 09-04-2012 02:19 AM

Take a sailing course or join a sailing club. Standing head room really depends on how much Time you spend on the boat if you are living aboard yes you will want standing head room if you are day sailing then its really a non issue. As far as the "trailer" goes I think it could get very dangerous in bad weather. A average 35 will carry enough supplies for 2 people to last well over 2 weeks. So how much stuff do you really need?