SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Maine sailing community

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jkrause 
#1 ·
I just bought my first sailboat. Im planning on living in it. I was just going to drop anchor here and there around portland/falmouth any advice or things i should watch out for? any advice is appreciated- thank you

#5 ·
Actually they're pahht buoys, yessah.

So, what did you buy? Are you planning on cruising? As a first time cruiser, there are all kinds of great spots to drop anchor for real. Some populated, some not so much. Jewell Island, Stover Cover, Cape Small Harbor, Damarisove Island, Sequin Island, the Goslings, The Basin, Harbor Island. Just a few within a couple of hours to a full day from you. Buy your charts but also download Booklet Charts for the same area. They're free from NOAA and very convenient.

Don

Biddeford

#6 ·
My plans have changed to docking at Dimillo's. I have no more money to do anything. So i figure I will dock and keep busy for the winter season. Hopefully save so money. I actually don't pick up the boat until next week. I will be sail it from Boothbay to portland. How long do you think it will take to sail?
I just looked at charts. I havent bought any yet. I know I have to.
Thanks I will check out that site.

#8 ·
Depending upon wind, and how good a sailor you are Boothbay can be done in about 5 hours on the low end and 10+ on the high side. I would suggest going outside Seguin on a new to you boat as the currents and sucked under lobster pots can be pretty bad going inside. You can also go through the Gut, bridge opens on the hour, and come out in Ebenecook and sail out the Sheepscot, if the tide is right......

#9 ·
I'm with MS. Outside Sequin, head E-SE just south of Half-Way rock. Bang a right. We like to head between Junk of Pork and Cushing but have your motor ready once you pass the two day marks. The current can sap your control pretty quickly. That's about 8 hours for us. Larger boat, more experience, better wind; takes time off. But DO NOT TRY IT WITHOUT CHARTS. (I wiggle my index finger and squint my eyes.)

#13 ·
If you're not familiar with how to prepare a boat to liveaboard over the winter, don't just try to figure it out. Trial and error could cost you. Ask questions. Tenting, slip resistance, access, interior condensation, mildew, heating alternatives, insulation, frozen water lines, power outages, etc. All discussed here before. All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.