Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I guess I should of put....

the following introduction for Ruth and I over here instead of in the Endeavour section so here goes....

Ruth and I would like to start participating in a couple of the Endeavour forums and some of the more cruising oriented forums now that we have an Endeavour 37 and have started doing some mods to it.

We are new to sailing, never having sailed before 2009 and don't exactly live in sailing country. Our home is in SE Utah in canyon country withing an hour or two of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, Lake Powell, Monument Valley and Mesa Verde. So pretty country, but not much water.

We bought a 1990 MacGregor water ballast classic, not the high HP model, and it has been pretty much perfect for us since it is easy to tow and still large enough for extended time on the water. We have only gotten out with it a couple times a year, but those where extended trips of 3 to 8 weeks at a time.

One of the trips was down the west coast for Florida to the Keys and back up the keys to south of Miami. We liked the area a lot and wanted to return and spend more time on the water with something larger. We wanted to keep the Mac for trips also and will probably have it until we are finished sailing. We are both close to 70 with one closer, but if I say who I'll be in trouble. We still have good health so want to do this sailboat thing while we can. We like the actually sailing but consider ourselves more explorers who like to go to new places and like the fact that a sailboat makes that possible.

I'd been doing research and liked the Endeavour 32 or 37 as they were in our budget and seemed like very nice boats for the area. We looked at a 32 and then a 37 before settling on finding a 37. We found one in Ft. Myers Beach, FL while on our 7+ week trip in the area with the Mac. We had anchored earlier in the trip within a half mile of the boat, but didn't see her until we rented a car while we were in Marathon with the Mac on a ball there.

We moved the Endeavour from Ft. Myers beach after buying her in 2011 to Charlotte Harbor Boat storage where she is now. We went down this past spring (2012) thinking we might get her out, but ended up working on her for 3 months until it got too hot and we went home. Hope to return in Jan 2013 and finish the work and go out for a couple months. We live about 2200 miles from the boat so visits to her will be when we can.

We hope to enjoy the Endeavour at least once a year for a couple months at a time and after having already lived on her for about 4 months we think we have the right boat for us,

Sumner and Ruth

(I go by just Sum and my posts can get long-winded, so please forgive that.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook