Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012

Senorjacob is on a distinguished road
Hello from Venice, CA

Just thought I'd jump in here and say hello. After sailing occasionally throughout the years, and being in the sailing club in high school (I'm 38 now), I recently decided that sailing is something I have to do. I'm drawn to the water, do a lot of surfing and love the ocean. I knew I'd get into it at some point, and now seems to be a good time.

I know the basics of sailing, but it's just the basics (I can take a Capri 14 out and be fine). I'm thinking of taking the ASA 101 and 103 class at one of the schools here in Marina Del Rey. There also seems to be a couple of coops here too that are more affordable. Definitely want to crew on other people's boats. Eventually would love to get a ~30' boat with my girlfriend (who also wants to learn) and cruise up and down the coast. And then maybe way off into the future do a crossing to Hawaii. But that's a super long term goal. For now I just want to get out on the water.

There are 3 major schools here, I think. The one I'm thinking of enrolling in has a couple of day sailor 25' boats that members can take out any time for a $28 fee. Sounds like a great way to get lots of affordable time on the water after I get certified. Of course, there are initiation and membership fees.

Any views on all of this from this forum would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello from Venice, CA

Welcome to sailnet.
I suggest you post your questions in the general discussion section. There is much more activity over there.
Old 09-21-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello from Venice, CA

I started the same way. Thirty years ago there was a club in MDR called Calypso. I took their 4 lesson course and was then able to rent boats for the day. I started with 27 footers and worked up to 30 footers. Then I bought a Catalina 30 which led to a Catalina 36. I think renting is a great way to build your skills.

Mike
Old 09-21-2012

Senorjacob is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if the other schools rent out a day sailor for as low a price but it seems like a really great way to get time on the water. Also, I've been reading the Annapolis book of Seamanship. A really good read, as it turns out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.