Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012
paceship 20

paceship20 is on a distinguished road
Greetings and a question?

We had a big blow in Maine this past week. My keel cable broke and my keel is in the mud at low tide.

I see there are 2 'ports/ hatches', in the cockpit, to access the keel well pin. Have you ever had to make this kind of repair?

Can I replace the cable whilst the boat is in the water? Better out of the water?

Any thoughts, Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road
Re: Greetings and a question?

Hello there, I have a couple questions for you before I can give you my answer. What is the size and displacement of your boat? are you close to a marina that has the appropriate depth for you to bring your boat there. Depending on the size your boat this marina must have a large fork truck appropriate for your boat. Captg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-24-2012
paceship 20

Hi Gary,
20' length, 900 lbs., day-sailor. I've got the keel in the up position with main sheet and another line. I have a deep water mooring close by. I have a trailer for the boat and was going to pull it out this weekend anyway. I just don't know whether it is best repaired in the water, where the keel can freely go up and down, or on the trailer where it would be in the up position only. I've no access to a lift. I'm on an island off the coast of Maine.
Thanks, Jim
Old 09-24-2012

If possible, a fork truck such as they have at boat stored facilities would be the perfect option for safety as well as inspection. The keel can be raised or lowered because of the forks. I have done this many times to replace cables and swing pins.At that point you can use a floor jack and blocking for safety measures. It would be difficult to do this on a boat trailer or in the water. However, it would be easy to load the boat on a trailer and then take it to the fork truck. At least that way you can inspect the pin as well as the keel,tunnel. Most fork trucks have a very reasonable fee for just lifting her and holding her in position, while you safely make your repairs and inspections. Captg

[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!

Old 09-24-2012

by the way, welcome to SailNet......................

Old 09-24-2012
paceship 20

Thanks a bunch, this makes good sense......
Old 09-24-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

Jim,
It is difficult to say exactly, as I am not familiar with your boat. I've done it both ways on Macgregors and Catalinas, out of the water seems easier to me. A lot depends on the type of shackle which attaches to the keel, how deep the keel fits into the "pocket", how long you can hold your breath, how cold the water is. We did a Catalina 22, with the bow on the trailer, and the keel 3/4 down, but easy is a relative term. IMHO this is one of those routine maintenance items, so you might want to learn how to DIY. The unrestrained keel on my Macgregor, punched a hole in the keel trunk. There were some other bad decisions there, lack of locking bolt, but damage is a real enough possibility to treat your cable with great caution. Welcome and good luck.
Lou
Old 09-29-2012

jkrause is on a distinguished road

Years back I had a Catalina22 and the cable pin broke where it attached to the swing keel. She was in the water at the time. With the keel down, there was no way to get her on a trailer. I could've forked over $500 for a haulout, but a friend had a tank/mask and owed me a favor. It was a real PITA due to low visibility and chop, but he was able to attach a new pin. I'm not sure about your situation but my guess is that it would be easier/safer to do this one out of the water.

Good luck

- JimK