Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tdw
  • 1 Post By zeehag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012
Grumpy Cat

PAULCR1 is on a distinguished road
Seniors Forum

Just wondering if there is a 'Seniors' (65+) forum?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Seniors Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULCR1 View Post
Just wondering if there is a 'Seniors' (65+) forum?
Do you mean within Sailnet, a separate SailNet for Ancient Salts or simply an all inclusive Old Farts Forum ?

If you mean within Sailnet then no there isn't and I'm not at all sure that I see the need for one. I can understand having a sprogs forum (keeps them away from grumpy old bustards like me ) and to some extent a women's forum but I cannot see there is much that a 65+er has to say that is solely of interest to other 65+ers.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-26-2012
Grumpy Cat

Hey tdw,
Yea, we old farts don't really know much. The fact is I was just looking for similar age folks that are actively sailing and wanted to know if physically they are holding up and any specific get togethers they may have.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULCR1 View Post
Hey tdw,
Yea, we old farts don't really know much. The fact is I was just looking for similar age folks that are actively sailing and wanted to know if physically they are holding up and any specific get togethers they may have.
Thanks for your reply.
Oh mate, us old farts most certainly know a fair bit but I reckon we need to share it with everyone not just ourselves. Now me, I'd have to wait a few years before I'd qualify for 65+ but its not all that far away. I'm 60+ and the Wombet is only a few years behind me. We are not liveaboard or full time cruisers but we spend pretty much every weekend out and about plus a couple of getaways each year.

How are we holding up ? Well I'm not as nimble as I once was and am very appreciative of our electric windlass. Still happy to row most times in the hard dinghy but will usually motor if in the inflatable. Much more likely these days to use labour saving devices than I once was.

Can still run the boat without too much trouble though I think any thoughts of going larger than our current 42' have receded. I'm afraid that the gear on a larger boat would be something of a strain and I have no desire to go electric sheet winches.

Another thing I really appreciate is the fact our companionway steps are not to steep nor numerous. Except in a seaway moving up and down those steps can be done facing ahead for which my joints thank me.

As for get togethers .... I'm not at all sure. OK, so I am something of an anti social old fart at the best of times but the last time we have a bunch of other crews come aboard their ages spanned probably 20 odd years. Purely from my own perspective I don't feel a need for gatherings of other folk strictly based on our similar ages. YMMV.

rgds

Andrew B
PAULCR1 likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-26-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

omg if we split of or add, then folks will know we are old...lol cannot have that, can we??
PAULCR1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2012
Grumpy Cat

Thanks many times over for your replies and experiences. My wife and I are both in relatively good health, of course with the standard aches and pains, but want to start sailing for at least a couple of years while we still can.
Again thanks for your inputs.
Old 09-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
omg if we split of or add, then folks will know we are old...lol cannot have that, can we??

perish the thought ....