SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello from Bombay, India (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/92583-hello-bombay-india.html)

Atlas 09-30-2012 11:43 AM

Hello from Bombay, India

Hi all,

I'm in Bombay, India. Our sailing club has a few lightnings and a few seabirds (with a sliding gunter rig). I'm just getting started with learning how to sail, and hope to pick up when the season begins in mid October.

Classic30 09-30-2012 08:44 PM

Re: Hello from Bombay, India

Welcome to Sailnet, Atlas. :)

Bombay sounds like an interesting place to sail. Do post pictures when you can.

Canoe52 10-04-2012 01:18 PM

From one newbie to another...welcome!

Atlas 11-19-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 928272)
Welcome to Sailnet, Atlas. :)

Bombay sounds like an interesting place to sail. Do post pictures when you can.

The sailing season has started at last, and I've managed to get my feet wet again :-)

I'm not yet able to post links, so pictures will have to come later. Meanwhile, I've started a blog of my sailing (mis)adventures, so do check it out at indonautica.wordpress.com

Classic30 11-19-2012 05:58 PM

Just a few more posts and you'll be able to post liks and photos..

If you participate in the Song Thread or similar ones you'll get your post count up pretty quickly. :)

CaptainQuiet 11-19-2012 06:16 PM

Welcome. I'd love to hear more about the sailing community in India!! I loved that country as a traveler and can't wait to show it to my family as a cruiser.

CaptainQuiet 11-19-2012 06:19 PM

I just checked out your blog and noticed that you are hoping to inform us more about the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. I say bring it ! Love to hear more, what kind of boats are people cruising on there? Are people cruising?

Atlas 11-23-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainQuiet (Post 950644)
I just checked out your blog and noticed that you are hoping to inform us more about the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. I say bring it ! Love to hear more, what kind of boats are people cruising on there? Are people cruising?

Hi Cap'n,

Only a very small minority of Indians participate in recreational boating, which is a shame given our long coastline. Even fewer take up the challenge of sailboats. However, there are some boating clubs mainly in the big cities like Bombay and Madras. I know of at least two land-locked boating clubs in Pune and Bhopal.

Most sailboats are imported Jeanneaus/ 470s/ 420s/ Lasers, with some lightnings/ optimists being manufactured in India. The ancient seabird half-rater is still going strong in Bombay, with new boats being built in fibreglass.

I don't know of any liveaboard/ cruising sailors except the mega rich guys with the floating palaces which they take up to Dubai or Singapore once in a while.