SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Another wannabe sailor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/93169-another-wannabe-sailor.html)

FiftycalJake 10-17-2012 04:50 AM

Another wannabe sailor

hey there,
i just want to say hi to the community here! i grew up in Florida around the gulf and hope to move back sometime soon. i have had a great interest in living on a sailboat recently which has brought me to this forum(first forum i've joined). i look forward to getting some sound advice on living aboard a boat as well as some bad advice-hehe. i hope my concerns and questions get good comments. i also hope i can meet some new friends here that will help me along my way to being a decent sailor.
i dont have much experience in sailing but i'm willing and able to learn. i am still looking for a boat and i'm not sure what i should get. i know i want something 30+ feet so i have room to stretch. any suggestions would be awesome. i know i want to sail to the bahamas and possibly out of the country(all to be determined) when i get my new home. so if you see me on i'm probly reading posts and advice from others but convo is always welcome!

c-ya around the forums-----FiftycalJake

SHNOOL 10-17-2012 06:30 AM

Re: Another wannabe sailor

First off, GREAT to have you here.... secondly we'd be happy to help you in your search, in order for us to help you, we'll need more information...

Start first by researching some other peoples quests here for liveaboard boats.
SailNet Community - Search Results

Then ask away!

bobperry 10-17-2012 11:41 AM

I was a wannabe sailor 52 years ago Jake.
Now I'm just an old sailor.

SHNOOL 10-17-2012 11:54 AM

Jake - Bob's a good reason to ask your questions here! Legends live here (I ain't one of them).

DonScribner 10-17-2012 12:50 PM

Jake,

If you haven't sailed before and have a middle income budget, consider a large trailer sailer. A 25 footer can keep you and a friend for long weekends and close-quarter weeks but at a fraction of the cost. if you like it, move up. If you don't, Craigslist. A trailerable 25 will run between $5k & $10k, depending on what your are looking for. Launch and retrieval is no big deal once you get used to it. And all the mooring/slip fees and marina costs are gone. Then, if you find that you actually do bleed sea water and enjoy standing in a cold rain, peeling off Ben Franklins, sell and buy a big boy.

Don

FiftycalJake 10-17-2012 04:35 PM

well honestly i dont have much sailing experience at all. i do however know that i dont want a boat on a trailer. i want to go all in and if i cant take the boat out to sail till i know how to at least i can live on it. i would like to know what is to small to live on? i would be more likely to get a rough boat and fix it up while living on it so i would know the ins and outs of it. im not rich but i do have enough o get a fixer upper. with that said i figure it will be about a year maybe 2 before i take the plunge.

bobperry 10-17-2012 05:19 PM

Years ago my engineer and his wife lived about a small 26'er for two years. I could not have done that. Maybe. The size you need to live aboard will depend upon your life style but I think you need to be looking for a 30' boat. The size of the boat is more about you than it is the boat.

FiftycalJake 10-17-2012 07:46 PM

well said bob--i think a 30+footer is what i'll be in the market for as it seems they have more to offer then something smaller. i have been doing some research and to me they offer more headroom and more options to do what i intend to use it for. i do have a dog so theres more questions as to how to deal with that aswell. i'll be reading these forums for answers to questions im sure have been asked already.

tomperanteau 10-17-2012 08:11 PM

We have a dog and she is great to have aboard. That said, you can always start smaller and cheaper to learn on, then upgrade to what you want once you have learned how to sail and how the systems on a sailboat are put together. The more you know about sailboats in general, the better your decisions will be when you find that boat of your dreams. Less emotion and more logic can keep you out of trouble.

Hawaiigirl 10-18-2012 06:50 PM

We are a family of three on a 26 foot with a dog and pet squirrel...we are at a marina so it is actually not bad...been on the boat for almost 4 months now :)