SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hello All, New SailBoat Owner & Smiling (1st day)

889 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  HighFly_27 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been looking for a decent sailboat and finally won a bid on -- Islander 37, MS

It seems to be a decent boat & glad to have her. I think I will have it trucked home by Friday or Monday of next week.

I'm retired from the Army, helicopter pilot, Vietnam 70/71, Kuwait & other places (secret), maint. test pilot, now retired with 24 years active. I've been around the block, several times... FAA Powerplant & Airframe Mech., commerical pilot, diesel mech., welder, sawyer, farmer, logger, over the road trucker.. and all that at 64 YO. Hoping to retire and stay retired. Have been planing & planing & dreaming to get a decent boat, fix it up here & there and sail down to Grenada and return back to FL. Who knows, perhaps, I'll go out again, but somewhere else, we will see. My health is fair ( - ) and may not be fair in the future.. one never knows.

Take Care,

Avery (HighFly27)

#2 ·
happy

awesome Avery
Sounds to me like you deserve every minute of it- now the fun starts... as in the work, as you can imagine; though sounds like you have the skills! what a journey just try to stay healthy: stretch in the morning, eat well, set a weekly task schedule, and enjoy those islands what a beautiful ride(life @ this stage)

ps~ you can get loads of knowledge/information from all the guys on the site, as it sounds like you may be light on nautical or chart experience- that's where you want to brush up your skills before setting off on those journeys amid warm breezes
peace
-JD
(any range of Coast Guard approved classes can be enormously helpful too)

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, You are Absouletely Right, I need to attend some sailing classes in the Panama City, FL area. I learned to sail in Grenanda in 1983. I was assigned there for several months after the little conflict there in 83. I have seen advertisments on Sailing by different schools in the area. I have a fair understanding of navigation and chart usage, etc. . I have some paper charts of the Panama Area & greater FL ocean area, have been looking at them a little each week.
I was looking at the diifferent certifications and saw a couple priced out at -- $ 7XX.XX for up to a 100 ton license. Now, what I really need, to hire a well qualified skipper that would go out on my boat and train me. I'd like to be prepared for being caught in a un-forecast weather. I will have the necesaary training before hand ... to get through it ....without a nervious breakdown or worst, going down.

Avery

#4 ·
hi

Interesting Avery

Will let the other guys chime in+ but here's a huge point: with modern day electronics & incredibly sophisticated weather forecasting, a careful sailor may never see that

the goal is to never go out in those major storms for most, unless suicidal of course

many have avoided storms while sailing successfully for years

just focus on your basic navigation, getting the ship ready, & enjoying the craft
take care buddy
-JD

#5 · (Edited)
My View Point... I've been a Army pilot since 1969 and have flown in & around weather. I've always stayed clear of the (real) bad stuff. I've never had a reason to get one bead of sweat worked up in 42 years +. I realize that we have 24/7 coverage of the weather these days. I'd like to team up with an experienced skipper and try to learn all I can. I'd like to have the self confidence.... that I know what I'm doing and would not make a fatal mistake. I don't want to be in constant fear; I need to be able to handle higer winds (+35, up to 50 knts). I've always been a fair weather sailor in Grenada. I would be .. very concerned, if I was caught in higher winds, etc. (fair Wx. sailor). If I'd get caught in bad weather.. I might lose my little I-37 boat (based on zero experience) with higher winds, hvy. rain & rough seas. I might be caught trying to get to shore with weather closing in on me. Currently, I'd be freaking out with lot's of sweat on my face. I'd like to know what my little old (I-37) boat is capable of with a good skipper on deck. I realize that most boats are capable of taking on a little weather. The bottom line, does the skipper (good seamanship) know exactly what to do.. to get clear of the stormy weather, high winds, whatever befalls him/ her.

I'm going to try to post some picture's or my boat. I've done nothing to the I-37 MS and these are pic's. prior to transport.

#6 ·
Totay was Christmas day for a 64 YO, U. S. Army (ret.), aviation warrant officer. 23 years active duty. I'd like to say, today beat flying but that's not the case (to many fond memories).

Yesterday, I call a local sailing training facility and decided to take their 3 day course, also ASA test. I really need this, have not sailed since 83 and insurance reasons too.

Back to the boat, it's a oldee but good'ee (1970 Islander 37, MS) at least.. I hope so. I was told fby the former owner that it needs some smaller items, he had already spent the big bucks (20K) already. I have to smile to myself, I could hardly wait to see the boat come in my long lane and unloaded. I could (in away) not wait until the truck had it unloaded and put my ladder up and check it over inside (open my gift).

So, from here, I will make a list and fix the major items 1st -- Rudder busted, with 2 feet off of the end. I need to pull it and repair the damage or build a new one, depends on rudder condition. Also, 4 x 4 hole in stern, high on transom, starboard side (nothing major).

The previous owner told me about these items -- battery (Bat. Pro Marine 1230) charger sys. not charging, auto-pilot inop. for years, knot meter inop., adler/ barbour sys. serviced but not working correctly, control cables sloopy at cabin station, ok at stern station, mast lighting elect. messed up. Some of the cusions need replaced, old staining at all 6 windows. The windows were resealed but old damage to the wood remains and looks bad in a couple areas. The I37 had Termites, they did some damage underneath the cold box. The old owner thought they were there at one time but gone now, this happened years ago & prior to his ownership. Last item, stantion fittings at bow were messed up when it pull free from it's morring in a storm, never got the pull story.

So, I have some work to do and will start a log and pics. and post them form time to time as I make progress. I'm shopping around for electonics, so drop me a line if you know some stuff I'd be interested in. I need to buy most of my items in good used (serviceable) & working condition.

So, this dummy is Still Smiling on Xmas day.. 31 Oct., 2012. Also on the night of Howlloween Night, now that has to mean something... scary $$ I bet. Most likely connected with spendng lots of my retirement money on a 42 year old boat... that's the price of life I picked it and that's fine too.

Avery

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.