Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012

Minibear453 is on a distinguished road
Hello! Need help with restoration project

Hello, I'm a Boyscout who's about to begin his eagle project. One project that I've began to consider is a restoration of this boat. The park wants it for display, not for use, since it had just been sitting there in the back. If anyone can identify the boat, and also suggest a way to begin to restore it, I'd be very grateful. I was thinking of stripping the paint, and putting on new primer and coating, and wondering if that would work. As for the wooden parts, I was considering the use of plywood to replace the cup holders, but I'm not sure about the wood holding those up. And new windows with acrylic. Any tips? Thanks again! Unfortunately I'm not allowed to link nor post an image... so this is kind of difficult.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello! Need help with restoration project

After enough posts you should be able to do the link. Or maybe you can describe where there is a picture of the boat.

In the mean time, this might be a good time to try an exercise in writing good descriptions of what you see. What is the boat's environment? What part of the world? What kind of park is it? Who visits the park? Is the boat on a stand or part of a display or connected to anything else?

Why is there a boat in the park? Is there something special about the boat's history or how it came to be in the park? Is it tied to the local economy, or to something historic?

How big? What kind? How old? What made of? Can you touch it or is there a fence or barrier? Can you get on the boat? Does it have a name? What damage or wear is there besides maybe faded or peeled paint?
Old 11-05-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

The painting will work- you can paint anything if u prep it properly
Get a tape measure & measure the boat, furthermore have a friend or friend's father who knows about boats look at it

lastly, ask at the park office and get the make and model
kudos
-Jonathan