SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

922 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  outbound 
#1 ·
Hi All- My bride and I have taken the plunge. After swallowing the anchor for some years bought a PSC 34 to see if she would like the sailing life. Her reply after a year was "You can have any boat you want as long as we always have a house to come back too". Now in process of building an Outbound 46. She'll splash in Norfolk Va this May. The PSC is for sale and hope to downsize the house. After owning Tayanas,Cape Dorys, one offs, Mariners and assorted small stuff decided once in my life to have a boat built for me- Bristol Fashion and able to single accross the pond or round the clock. Amazed at how much technology has changed things. Used to get by with a sextant,barometer and a Fleming or Monitor on the back. Now can have all the comforts of home. Feel stupid spec-ing electronics, wind/solar, heating/cooling etc. More work than building a house . Keep thinking " if you don't bring with you you aint got it" and "what do you do when it breaks."But the farkles look so great. Scared as hell fliipping ours lives around and spending this much money for a dream. Any encouraging thoughts greatly appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
Hi outbound, just remember that any change is....well...a bit unsettling. Spending a bunch of money can be un-nerving for anyone. I'm a lot like your honey. Having a home to come back to appeals to me, no matter where we many go.

Yes, I remember those days of sextants and dead reckoning. However, all these new fangled instruments sure make things easier. My hubby is having a ball discovering how to use these things. However, in saying this, I think it is a good idea to still be able to make your way using a chart.

I wish you the very best and I'm sure you guys will have tons of fun. Enjoy...no matter what!

ETA: Sorry, I almost forgot...welcome to this fun and informative place. :)

#4 ·
thanks for your kind wishes. been hoping we both are physically and emotionally able to cut our ties to land bound living. spoke with several couples who after a year or two decided "you never want to own something that owns you". they found the sailing life engaging enough that worrying about and maintaining a house just wasn't worth it. sure makes it much easier on the cruising kitty. You folks sound like a delightful couple. wish you all the best on all your passages.

#8 ·
thanks all- up to my eyeballs learning new stuff.how to get the most from SSB, reading various marine weather books. learning about longterm provisioning,route planning software and getting all the "right kit", ditchbag fillings,medical emrgency kit, offshore foulies, harnesses,jacklines, series drogue the list goes on. Can't say enough about Josh at Anchor Yachts in Barrington R.I. He has been aiming me in the right direction as have my friends who have "been there done that". Amazing how much there is to learn and how in awe I am of folks how have done this before me. Our antecedents were tough,smart cookies. Can't see the time to do a blog and feel there are much more knowledgeable people than me whose advise would be more valuable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.