SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Glutton for punishment (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/94712-glutton-punishment.html)

Stingray 12-05-2012 12:20 PM

Glutton for punishment

Hello everyone! My name is Don and I am married to a wonderful girl named Taylor. After years of making fun of friends buying boats (power) and how they were nothing but trouble, I made the mistake of taking some sailing lessons and fell in love. That decision set in motion a series of events that have led to us purchasing a 32' Sailcraft Comanche catamaran which we plan on cruising from our home port in Houston, TX down through the Caribbean and up the east coast through the next year or two and, if we like it, maybe look at a trip across the pond to the Med. I've been lurking here a little while and thought it was time to join as y'all seem to have a good group of folks here. I look forward to this exciting chapter in our lives with new places and new friends.

Stingray 12-05-2012 12:49 PM

Re: Glutton for punishment

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=B8AEB...B8760CF67!1824

MARC2012 12-05-2012 06:25 PM

Welcome,sounds like a plan.marc

Lou452 12-05-2012 10:31 PM

Welcome have fun enjoy! Thats a big plan. Nice to see you left an open time slot that will let you move at your own pace. Love needs time. Your old friends may want to trade the power boats and join you. We learn more from our mistakes. That is why sailing lessons are so much fun. Any day on any boat is better than a good day at work. Best wishes Don & Taylor Live the dream life is short. Regards, Lou 452

Stingray 12-05-2012 11:32 PM

Thanks Lou. We've already hit a snag. The 100 Ton licensed captain I had helping me bring it back can't because the people we had build the cockpit enclosure took to long to do it and now he's booked up until the new year. I don't want to push it that far into winter. I guess I may just bring it back myself down the ICW. Anyone who would like to help, I put an ad in the "crew wanted" section, but I know it's bad timing so I'm not expecting much. We'll see.

jameswilson29 12-06-2012 06:28 AM

Cool, post lots of pics or it didn't happen!:cool:

Stingray 12-06-2012 10:38 AM

I tried posting a pic here and it didn't post. Is there a block on posting pics until your post count is past a certain point? Either that, or I'm not doing it right but I've been successful on other forums, so not sure what I need to do differently.

floridajaxsailor 12-06-2012 07:17 PM

Mark I believe there is a limit~ you have to post a certain # of messages first, then you can post pics

I taught sailing for years, small boats~ lesson number 1 one w big boats: things take months- whether moving repairing, cruising, or so forth
great luck to you

Stingray 12-07-2012 04:56 PM

Thanks, I'm learning that very quickly. As a side note, I see you're in Ft. Myers. My wife and I were married on Ft. Myers Beach. We also lived there separately years before.

Lou452 12-08-2012 11:39 AM

That is a lot of sailboat. Do you have a local sailing club that you could join? Crew from that kind of source would take more interest and care for your craft I would think. You might find an ASA instuctor that will give you lessons at the same time. If you fnd the right person you might work out a deal for the right crew to use your boat for a weekend this summer in exchange for help. just check to stay with in the law if you make a deal You could stray without knowing. Got to get there by.. has been the cause of a lot of hurt feelings and can amount to injurys. Be sure to avoid that. Best wishes , Lou