Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Researching spinnakers

I have to agree with James.. we've flown symmetrical spinnakers for decades, and maybe that's a factor, but we've found that with a recently acquired asymm, we only use it on reaches that are likely to be a fetch.

For deeper sailing and, for us, EASE of gybing we go with the symmetrical every time.

I find that gybing the symm is much easier on the sail, as it seems one is always dragging sailcloth around the rig, and often through an inversion to gybe an Asymm. Doing an outside gybe in a breeze is a bit better, but then there's the risk of sailing over the lazy sheet if you're a bit inattentive...

With the two of us, and "Otto" steering a 20 degree (via remote) course change through the gybe I handle the pole while my wife handles the lines from the cockpit.

The only advantage of 'starting' with an asymm would be the reduced cost overall....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Not going to argue for asyms, to each their own.

However, for the OP, its is important to note that not all asyms are alike. Those that will drive on the deepest reach, won't fly on the beam and vice versa.

Yes, ultimately the asym set up is much cheaper, which also works for me. I so rarely feel the need for a spinnaker at all. I haven't even sprung for one this boat yet. Of course, I did price one up and at $6k for the sail alone, I'm still pondering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not going to argue for asyms, to each their own.

However, for the OP, its is important to note that not all asyms are alike. Those that will drive on the deepest reach, won't fly on the beam and vice versa.

Yes, ultimately the asym set up is much cheaper, which also works for me. I so rarely feel the need for a spinnaker at all. I haven't even sprung for one this boat yet. Of course, I did price one up and at $6k for the sail alone, I'm still pondering.
All true.. and on larger boats the cost does get up there in a hurry.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-11-2012

KattyC is on a distinguished road

So can one raise a symmetrical spinnaker sailing solo? I sail with him some times and will help when I am with him; however, he sails solo as well. I would want to buy him something that he would be able to use solo, if possible.

Yes. I think he likes the gifts I buy him. I'm quite certain I never bought him a tie. A fly tying kit, maybe....
Old 12-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyC View Post
So can one raise a symmetrical spinnaker sailing solo? I sail with him some times and will help when I am with him; however, he sails solo as well. I would want to buy him something that he would be able to use solo, if possible....
Some can, most wouldn't, so it depends on him. It would be more manageable on a 23ft boat, but still a real PITA. If he sails solo now, then an Asym is virtually no different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-11-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyC View Post
So can one raise a symmetrical spinnaker sailing solo?
Yes, I do frequently, and your husband probably will, provided he enjoys challenges (or has three arms):
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Yes, I do frequently, and your husband probably will, provided he enjoys challenges
Got one of raising it, dousing or gybing?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-11-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Got one of raising it, dousing or gybing?
Of course not, no one to hold the camera.

I've flown a chute solo before without an autopilot. It's almost impossible to do on my 25 footer. My boat doesn't track very well (at all) downwind and can get squirrely pretty quick in breeze.

If you think he'll fly it solo, ask the sailmaker about getting a takedown line sewn onto the spinnaker. On small boats with small kites, this makes it very easy to douse.
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Of course not, no one to hold the camera.
It was a trick question.

Still, wouldn't you love to see someone raise/douse/gybe it alone, while another films, especially without an autopilot? It would be like a cliff hanger. Then, lets see a huge puff shifting to a broad reach and it will become like a horror film. Then, as they finally recover, douse it all back into its bag and are left weeping in the cockpit, it would be a chick flick. We have a real winner to appeal to all audiences.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-11-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Some videos of singelhanded spinnaker sailing . enjoy
These are not mine.

Hoisting – Symmetric

Gybe - Symmetric

Takedown – Symmetric

Gybe - Assymetric

Takedown - Assymetric

jameswilson29 likes this.