Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Re: Researching spinnakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Yes, I do frequently, and your husband probably will, provided he enjoys challenges (or has three arms):Pearson 28 "Thoe" on singlehanded spinnaker run in Atlantic Ocean off Ocean City, Maryland - YouTube
Ummmm.....Wham? Dude, we need to talk.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Some videos of singelhanded spinnaker sailing . enjoy
I am impressed. However, it seems someone else or an autopilot has the helm in each of these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-11-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

You can definitely use a symmetrical while sailing solo. Ask anybody who's been in a solo race. While it's a thousand times harder without an autopilot, the OP did say that he already sails solo, so there's a decent chance he already has an autopilot. I couldn't recommend spending much time going up on deck without one.

Most of the time we used our symmetrical spinnaker, it was double-handed work, with my wife steering and managing the mainsheet. This was very manageable as we only used the sail in conditions where we thought it would be easy to use.

Regardless of which type of spinnaker you choose, including no spinnaker at all, there are risks that are exacerbated for singlehanders and mitigated by autopilots and crew. I would never plan a sailing trip based on the assumption that nobody will ever need to go to the foredeck, a place where so many essential boathandling activities occur. So saying, "You can use this sail solo without an autopilot" sounds like asking for trouble.

If he doesn't have an autopilot, why look, another Christmas idea...
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 12-11-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I am impressed. However, it seems someone else or an autopilot has the helm in each of these.
He is using a autopilot for sure

Last edited by knuterikt; 12-13-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Another thing is that this guy (he is one of the more experienced short hand sailors in Norway) like to use what he calls ASOP (Asymmetric Overlength Pole).

He uses an Asymmetric spinnaker with a spinnaker pole that is J + 1 meter (approximately) long.

The asymmetric is set in the traditional way with and adjustable tack line in front of the head sail. In addition to this he have two spinnaker guys attached to the tack of the sail.

The idea is that he set the asymmetric in the usual fashion, the sail is also gybed on the outside.

The spinnaker pole is used to pull the the tack to windward on deeper angles and also move the sail center forward on sharper angles.

Quote:
This setup is penalized on the boats rating but it is worth it
On my boat the asymmetric is set on a bowsprit but I have rigged guys so I can use the spinnaker (normal length) to move the tack to windward on deeper angles.
Old 12-13-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
Ummmm.....Wham? Dude, we need to talk.
Hey man, that was playing on the radio station. I do not now have, and have never had, any WHAM! recordings (although that was their best song IMHO).

The whole way up and down the Delmarva coast, it was either Top 40/Urban Dance music, Country music, or Beach music, while I was within radio reception.

I became well acquainted with all the newest dance tracks, some of which are still playing in my head 5 months later.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-14-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2012

KattyC is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Researching spinnakers

You guys are cracking me up! I wasn't going to say anything about the "Wham" background, but since someone already did....I just have to laugh! And the weeping in the cockpit because of someone flying a spinnaker (whether it be asymmetrical or symmetrical) solo with no autopilot....this is just great stuff. I can't wait to print this stuff out for my husband!

So, I'm thinking symmetrical is the way to go. Although I'm still going to give him cash and he can figure all of this out. I now have a number for a local sailmaker and some good contact info to order one on-line.

Thanks for all of the videos and info. I now feel good about this year's present. Watching the videos, I can see how fast you can go with a spinnaker up. He will LOVE that! He has an autopilot and he has myself and two boys, so we should be good to go!

Thanks a bunch! Katty C
AdamLein likes this.
Old 12-13-2012

Standard rate for videos and advice is videos or pics of your own, ideally showing the Christmas Spinnaker pulling your boat along. I think we can wait until you guys have practiced with it a few times but eventually we will demand our payment.
Old 12-13-2012

KattyC is on a distinguished road

No problem. But don't expect anything until early Spring as everything is frozen here right now. It might be best to send you all the first videos of us trying to raise a spinnaker. I'm sure it will be hilarious!
Old 12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyC View Post
No problem. But don't expect anything until early Spring as everything is frozen here right now. It might be best to send you all the first videos of us trying to raise a spinnaker. I'm sure it will be hilarious!
I will be really impressed if you can get a video of a spinnaker hoist, especially a failed one