SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Newbie - from Edmonton, AB, Canada

664 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jackdale 
#1 ·
My husband and I reside in Edmonton, AB., We are 53/54 and are in the planning stages of retirement to set sail from Lake Erie, Ontario beginning the summer of 2013. We have 4 to 5 weeks available for this coming summer, and then will have to brave one last snowy AB winter before we hit full retirement in the spring of 2014 with our destination of Florida, Bahama's... We are toying with the idea of moving our boat from Lake Erie, (Port Dover), to Lake Ontario, around the Brighton, Picton, or Kingston area. We look forward to any advise, on routes, timing during the summer months, and suggestions on Marina's in those area's where we could look at putting her up for the winter of 2013. That is if we keep to the plans and don't just keep sailing. We look forward all the wonderful information this site seems to hold.

#2 ·
Welcome OffWeGo, the best of luck to you in your retirement plans. I know all about living in the cold, snowy north. You guys are just north of us...brrr! I think you have the right idea in going to warmer climes. I don't have any information for you, but I'm sure there are many others who do.

#4 ·
Thank you Brian, and I think you are correct as PD is absolutely beautiful. I am sure there is lots that we will be doing to prep her for our journey. We are presently building our equipment and cruising kitty, with plans to set sail either fall 2013 or spring of 2014.

#5 ·
Welcome fellow Albertans. There are actually a few of us on board here.

Jack

Reactions: OffWeGo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.