Yet another one... - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-14-2012 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to RW Sailor
Yet another one...

Hello everybody,
also new in this Forum and currently searching for my first own little boat after working on ships for several years. Last one was a two A-frame masted Sailing ship - a beauty, but not always easy...
Thank you for seting up this great forum and hope to stick around for long. And just to get started: Any advice on where to look for used boats in the DC area? Any experiences in that retrospect? Thank you already and...
fair wind and calm seas...
Manuel
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

Re: Yet another one...

Welcome Manuel.

Check out the magazine Spinsheet (local to the Bay) as well as Craig's List and yachtworld (depending on your idea of "little"). SailNet also has a classified section.

Good luck.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #3 of 6 Old 12-14-2012 Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply and the welcome :-)
Small in my personal case would be something big enough to actually live on. I spend half my time on a ship already and I can't get used to the idea of being on land for the other half. All my stuff is gone already, so I am living out of my backpack and don't need a lot of space, my Girlsfriend does need a bit more though so we managed to agree on something aorund 40 feet...
I did have a look at the websites you mentioned already and will try get a Spinsheet as well! Thanks for the advice!!!
post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2012
Newport Lover

First boat

I agree with Donna.....Craig's List is usually great....and, depending on how big you need, many are almost giving them away. I started almost 10 years ago on an ODay 22 I got off eBay, believe it or not....from a guy on Kent Island....paid about $3k....then traded that for my current Newport 27 a couple of years later.....there's some kind of "gold" in the number 30...or bigger.....but if you're willing to just have a "2" in the size of your boat, I.e. "2x feet", people just about give them away.

Jeff
Magothy River
post #5 of 6 Old 12-14-2012
Newport Lover

First is a 40???

That sure is biting off a lot to chew, starting with "around 40" as your first owned boat. Have you heard about Matt Rutherford circumnavigating north and south America this past summer in a 27?....or Lin and Larry Pardey? ....that's going to take quite an income too.

Jeff
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2012 Thread Starter

I am well aware of the price and effort of 40 feet of boat... that's why I don't have it yet ;-) And working for an NGO my income is not the biggest, BUT: I also have half a year off every year, so I can invest a lot of time in the boat and I do have quite a bunch of experience in working on ships, so I was hoping to get a well used boat and invest more work than money (even though I know they mostly come in pairs) and get it done. That would be the basic idea...
In my work time we are three deckhands on a 58 meter (ca. 178 feet?) sailing boat and still get it done, so... I know it could be a lot, but that's why I try get more information and a better picture of what is out there and available...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.