SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yet another one...

696 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RW Sailor 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,
also new in this Forum and currently searching for my first own little boat after working on ships for several years. Last one was a two A-frame masted Sailing ship - a beauty, but not always easy...
Thank you for seting up this great forum and hope to stick around for long. And just to get started: Any advice on where to look for used boats in the DC area? Any experiences in that retrospect? Thank you already and...
fair wind and calm seas...
Manuel

#2 ·
Welcome Manuel.

Check out the magazine Spinsheet (local to the Bay) as well as Craig's List and yachtworld (depending on your idea of "little"). SailNet also has a classified section.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply and the welcome :)
Small in my personal case would be something big enough to actually live on. I spend half my time on a ship already and I can't get used to the idea of being on land for the other half. All my stuff is gone already, so I am living out of my backpack and don't need a lot of space, my Girlsfriend does need a bit more though so we managed to agree on something aorund 40 feet...
I did have a look at the websites you mentioned already and will try get a Spinsheet as well! Thanks for the advice!!!

#4 ·
First boat

I agree with Donna.....Craig's List is usually great....and, depending on how big you need, many are almost giving them away. I started almost 10 years ago on an ODay 22 I got off eBay, believe it or not....from a guy on Kent Island....paid about $3k....then traded that for my current Newport 27 a couple of years later.....there's some kind of "gold" in the number 30...or bigger.....but if you're willing to just have a "2" in the size of your boat, I.e. "2x feet", people just about give them away.

Jeff
Magothy River

#5 ·
First is a 40???

That sure is biting off a lot to chew, starting with "around 40" as your first owned boat. Have you heard about Matt Rutherford circumnavigating north and south America this past summer in a 27?....or Lin and Larry Pardey? ....that's going to take quite an income too.

Jeff

#6 ·
I am well aware of the price and effort of 40 feet of boat... that's why I don't have it yet ;-) And working for an NGO my income is not the biggest, BUT: I also have half a year off every year, so I can invest a lot of time in the boat and I do have quite a bunch of experience in working on ships, so I was hoping to get a well used boat and invest more work than money (even though I know they mostly come in pairs) and get it done. That would be the basic idea...
In my work time we are three deckhands on a 58 meter (ca. 178 feet?) sailing boat and still get it done, so... I know it could be a lot, but that's why I try get more information and a better picture of what is out there and available...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.