Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello!! Saling newbies from Kentucky!!

Hi Lou!! Thanks for the kind words. And yes, we sure will enjoy going out there and using it. I think this coming Tues we will go for a week. We were supposed to leave today. But dang it, two very dear friends have passed away. One on Wed and one on Thurs. This is our 4th death of family and friends since June. May they all RIP.

But, getting to spend a whole week on the boat will be awesome. Learning our own sails, and sheets, halyards, lines, etc. Plus, with the cooler weather I can cook some 1 pot meats. Yum!!

Happy TGIF!!
Old 10-06-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I am going to complain but it is not as bad as the loss of a friend. May they find peace and let your memory of them bring warmth to your heart.
I will not rant and cry for long... Just are big year end event 2 days of camping and the 23 Grand annual Regatta was closed and did not happen due to the government shut down. We the members of Cave Run Sailing were also to host the Catalina-22 regional this year. The end.
I did have my C-22 out two weeks before and it was great. Thanks to a friend that towed it for me. I am shopping for a used truck, van, SUV
I was also able to get my FJ out at a lake and ramp that was not shut down. I hope we can have a few more warm days.
Kind Regards, Lou
Magnolia likes this.

Last edited by Lou452; 10-06-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013

Lou - so sorry about the cancelled regatta and all of the festivities. I'll complain for you!! It is horrible what is going on and messing up everyone's vacations and outings and such. It is not right and I am tired of it!! I hope that makes you feel a tiny bit better.

We are on our boat right now. Installed two new batteries. and are just sorting through stuff and rearranging. Going to go motoring about tomorrow. It should be a little warmer and less windy. Today is Sunny, but very cool and windy. Feels good to sit outside in it though. So not complaining. LOL

Happy Day!
Old 10-07-2013
sunfish?junior?

Do you have any solar panels to keep your batteries topped off ? I am due for a new battery in the near future.
I am thinking about getting ready to drain the gas from my outboard engine and put it up. I do not want to yet because we will still have some warm days. I just know I have very little free time.
I just got my mosquito netting back. I have had made for our boat some screen to put over the hatch cover and companion way. I will be ready for the little bugs next year.
Kind Regards , Lou
Old 10-08-2013

No, we do not have solar panels. We are thinking of hauling the boat and having davits put on and solar panels on top of the davit. Plus we want to put GFI's on all of the elec outlets. We have bought them, but don't won't to put them on. I tried, it was a pain in the arse. We also have some other little stuff that needs to be done. So, we'll go to the boat yard and see what we can afford. LOL

I made screen coverings for our hatch and companion way - could not have survived this summer without them. You'll love yours!!

Best wishes, Coral
Old 11-10-2013
sunfish?junior?

Happy Thanksgiving ! We had the Annual awards banquet for Cave Run Sailing. It went well
I am now getting ready to put the boats up for the winter. :-( Spring will come soon enough! Now I will have sometime for sailnet
Kind Regards , Lou
Old 11-13-2013

Hey there, Lou!! What is up with this cold snap? 23 degrees here this morning. I hate it!! I was just looking at sailboats for sale down in the USVI's. LOL In fact, we just spent a week on St. John USVI and I was envious of all of the sail boaters down there.

We pulled our boat this winter. Last winter we spent a lot of time on it (think floating cabin), but this winter we know we aren't going to be able to, so we pulled it and are thinking of selling it and buying a bigger boat. Our life has changed a lot in the last year and now we find we need a bigger boat since our son and his family are closer. No way will they fit on our boat for overnight stays. A day out on the water, fine, but we want more.

Happy Thanksgiving!! My all time fav holiday. Gobble-gobble!!
Old 11-13-2013
sunfish?junior?

Magnolia I am delighted that you spent time in the USVI ! It is a sailors dream except during the hurricane season. We had a couple from our club with a valiant They bought fly in to speak. They are in the Gulf of California stopped for the winter. A big boat demands more $ funds.
This random thought popped in my head. Poor folks in the Philippines. 170 mph per hour winds for 48 hours. 2days two nights !
Maybe you could rent a big boat ? You could rent in the USVI.?
I would like to go bigger but right now I am going stay at the size I am.
It was said to me by a native when I started camping and hiking. An Indian builds a small fire and sits around it. A white man builds a large fire and gathers wood to feed it. Could this be made true for sail boats ?
Kind Regards Lou
Old 11-15-2013

Mornin' Lou!! Yes, the folks in the Philippines are constantly on my mind. Such a tragic affair, so many lives lost, whole areas decimated.

We will probably rent a bigger boat down in the VI's before deciding whether to buy one down there, or here and taking it down there. Going to look at both mono & multi hulls. Our boat is 28' 7" and we want at least a 35 foot...but we'll see, we have all winter to think about it, no rush in making a decision is needed, so that is good. LOL

Happy TGIF!!!

p.s. If we do not sell our boat, we still plan on taking it down the Tenn River and the Tombigbee, Mobile, thru the ICW and finally to Apalachicola. That dream is not finished.

Last edited by Magnolia; 11-15-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2013
sunfish?junior?

Merry Christmas to all. I have both boats covered up winter is near. The good news is Sunday will be longer than the day behind. The cold will come but the sun is going to be with us a little more each day
Have a blessed an peaceful Christmas , Lou
smackdaddy and Magnolia like this.