Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013
1977 Island Trader Ketch

mikecoder3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello!! Saling newbies from Kentucky!!

Welcome !!!!! Love your head change out !!!!!

by the time you and your husband get to Florida, I should have enough experience just learning myself, to be able to glean and offer any advice that comes my way to pass on to you. Stay in touch and I do hope you make it as far south as the Fort Myers area, as that is where I want to eventually end up. currently in St. Pete. :0)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

Hello Mike! Thanks for the shout out!

We are heading that direction for sure and will be glad to meet up with you. And we will need all of the advise we can get, too. Thnx! Once we get headed that way I will let you know. If all of our ducks line up in a row, it s/b end of October.

Happy Sailing!
Old 02-12-2013

Well, we went to the Marina yesterday and putzed around on the boat, doing interior thingies. Much too windy outside to do any work out of doors. What is with all of the big gusts of wind in Kentucky lately?

I believe we have her outfitted inside now, to the point that when we go back to stay during the spring/summer we only need to take food/clothing. And we'll be able to concentrate on working outside.

We bought 3 new Nicro day/night solar fans. We have 3 old-old ones that barely work. We wanted to install one yesterday, but too windy.

Other than that, just biding our time until we can get out on the water. Which, by the way, is really muddy/stained at Lake Barkley at the moment. Hope it clears up soon.

Sea ya!
Old 04-21-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Well The first race went off yesterday 4/20/2013 at Cave Run Lake. Today the temp is
36*- F I am not sure what it was yesterday but it was very cool. The sunshine was nice. Everyone was happy to be back on the lake The wind was good.
Sails everyplace the fleet was out. We did not have a lot of motor boats on the lake. One soul on a jet ski, bless his heart. He never slowed down. Pounding over the chop in a shower of spray. He never came near enough to see if he had a wet suit. A few hard core bass boats looking for the right fish.
The wind was strong at 20-25 mph and gust to 30 at times. The lake has hills and trees around it that can make some interesting wind shifts. It is a very pretty lake. The Catalina-22 was the most popular craft on the lake. Other sailboats from 21 to 26 foot were rounding the marks.
We had a nice social after the four races. We have some new club members ! That was the best part of the day meeting them ! It was so much fun to get out and say good by to the cool weather. Soon we will see green trees. The grass has started to grow. It is time to sail ! Who wants to mow grass anyway ? Kind Regards, Lou
Old 04-21-2013

Hey Lou, so glad to hear from you and to hear that your race went off so well. Especially since it was such a cold and windy day. Good for all of you for getting out and sailing!!

Since we are a bit south of you, we have already mowed our lawn twice. And while all of our trees aren't budded out yet most are and have fine, new green leaves on them. Spring has sprung!

We went up to our boat this past Mon & Tues and got the motor ready for the season, filled the fuel tank up and put her back in the slip as it was a bit chilly and windy to do much else. Hopefully we'll be able to go back in another week or two for an extended stay.

Happy Sunday!
Old 04-21-2013

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road

Hey Lou it was good meeting you finally. I really enjoyed the day and looking forward to going back. Really seems to be a good group of people. Loved the wind and loved the racing! Gotta say I am hooked! Mag, looks as I will be visiting your area this summer for Asa 103 maybe we can get together for a sail? Planning to bring my boat and stay the weekend. Never know for sure things change with a phone call for me on a regular basis.
Old 04-22-2013

Hey Kyhillbilly! Glad you had a great day out on the lake, and, meeting Lou. Isn't it nice to meet new friends!!

We would love to meet up with you when you come over our way. The meeting will have to be open ended, as in, we say we want to meet you, but then we can't come because of a sick family member, who is in Hospice. So I hope you understand. But, given that, just give us a shot out when you are headed over and we'll do what we can. Thnx!

It is a beautiful sunshiny morning...wouldn't it be nice waking up on our boats, sitting out in the cockpit, drinking a cuppa? Yes!!

Happy day!
Old 07-25-2013

imasaluki is on a distinguished road
How's everybody doing? Personal update. Learned to sail in Port Charlotte Harbor in Florida first week of June. First time sailing and loved it. Went down to Key West for a week and finally had to leave. Visited family in Ft. Myers and got a sunburn. Back to the grind and bought a bunch of boat parts. Daysailer is still on the trailer waiting for me to finish her rigging updates. Heat has been oppressive the last two weeks, but it's quite nice now.

Take care everybody and check in!
Magnolia likes this.
Old 07-25-2013

GeometryTeach is on a distinguished road

My husband and I took the ASA 101/103 classes at Lighthouse Landing in July and highly recommend taking the classes. We took from Chip and I learned so much. My understanding and confidence at the helm greatly improved. Since my husband is an experienced sailor, he was primarily filling in gaps but also learned a few tips and tricks. We have been trying to get up to LHL every chance we can.
Old 07-25-2013

imasaluki is on a distinguished road
I've heard good things about LHL... my instructor in Florida even knew of the place and recommended it. Might have to make a trip out of it in the fall if I ever get the boat worthy of sailing!