Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013

GeometryTeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello!! Saling newbies from Kentucky!!

Let me know if you do come to LHL and would love to show you around if we are there. They have Colgate 26's to rent and great instructors that you can hire by the hour.
imasaluki likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

Hi ya!! So glad that you all are getting your ASA done. We hope to do that here soon, maybe Sept. Also glad to hear the good report on LHL. We can't decide to use them or go down to St. Pete and do the 101/103/104 all at once.

imasaluki - did you use a sailing school down in Port Charlotte? If so, whom? I used to live down there years ago. There and Punta Gorda. At that time PC was brand new. No fast food, no big box stores, nothing.

We are just now finally able to spend some time on our boat. We are here right now, may or may not take it out tomorrow. It just feels good to sit a bit and have no plans. Plus, there is no one up here during the week, so that is good. Ha!

Headed to dinner soon at the marina restaurant. They have very good food and some of the dishes are so big that we share. So no cooking - Yay!!

Happy sails!!
Old 07-25-2013

Magnolia - As a newbie, I felt that 101/103 was enough course work together. By the end of day four, I was reaching overload and was not as focused. I feel that I need more practice and experience before heading on to 104. I am no where near being prepared for the anchor watches and MOB in coastal waters.

Our next step will be the navigation course and then my husband is going to do 104 which is a 5 day boat course from Fort Myers to Key West with the same LHL instructor we had for the intro courses. Based on our conversations, we think his course is going to be a good one.
Old 07-25-2013

GeometryTeach - thanks for the information. It makes sense and we do not want overload for something so important. And at our ages. Ha!

Does LHL offer the navigation course?
Old 07-25-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Hey all good to see we are getting out on the water. I saw Hillbilly's Catalina-22 it is a nice one !
I have been going to the races on Cave Run Lake. I crew on the same C-22 I have been on for a good bit. Lots of fun.
I bought a Tahatsu 6hp long shaft for my Catalina-22 not the "sail pro" engine. I wanted the small gas tank on the engine. I do not care to have the gas smell in the boat. I would have liked an alternator but did not feel it was worth the price, looking at how small a charging rate it has. It is hard for me to justify it. Now I have to save for a truck to tow with.
Since I do not have the truck yet I took My FJ out sail. I was not able to find crew so I was out on my own at Jacobson Park. I wanted a club member that also has an FJ to meet me but the weather was so gray a day. I thought about hillbilly but again weather was a bummer but it turned out good some rain some sun some wind and I had the boat home before the lightning.
Well that's most of the news from my little part of the world.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 07-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
GeometryTeach - thanks for the information. It makes sense and we do not want overload for something so important. And at our ages. Ha!

Does LHL offer the navigation course?
LHL does offer a navigation course which is likely to be in December or January (according to Chip).

We are hoping to take it (if my husband's travel schedule does not conflict).
Old 07-26-2013

Mornin' GeometryTeach - thanks again for the info. The naviagation course that LHL has, is it in Kentucky or down in Florida? Be kind of cold to have it here, right?

Hi Lou!! Glad you are getting it worked out and out on the water. We've only been out the once, and only for motoring. Not sailing yet. We are at the lake right now, came up yesterday and will leave this afternoon. It is awesome waking up with the mist on the water.

Lou - we are driving back and forth to Ohio now (son and family just moved there from California), so may have to do a run to Cave Run and look you up. Once the dust settles we'll give you a holler.

In fact, been thinking of where we could move our boat so it is closer to them. Any idea for us?

A houseboat that is docked behind us left yesterday to go up to Evansville, In. They said the river had gone down so they could go up the Ohio...how exciting. I hope to do that some day. This is their 2nd time of doing it and he said it is an awesome trip. I believe he said it takes about 3 days.

Toodles everyone, have a great day.
Old 07-27-2013

imasaluki is on a distinguished road

Magnolia,

I used Southwest Florida Yachts at Burnt Store Marina. Ask for Capt. Steve and tell them Josh from KY sent you. He's a laid back guy with lots of sailing and cruising experience. Does a good job of tailoring the course to your needs and also covering what you need to "pass the test" and get through the course. Make sure to read the text and study up before you get there and you'll get more out of the course. Just a real cool time I had there. You can stay on the boat there if you want, but I didn't.

101 is all I did. Took two days. If you want to spend the whole week, you could do 101 and 103. But really to go sailing, 101 is about all you need to feel competent.

Last edited by imasaluki; 07-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2013

Thanks imasaluki - we may look them up next year. Our calendar is starting to fill up this year and we may only get through 101/103 with LHL, and then worry about the other later. :-)

What a beautiful Kentucky day it is today. I'd give anything to be up at the lake. Hopefully our next trip will be for an entire week!!

Happy Sunday!!
Old 08-09-2013

Hi Gang!! Signed up for our ASA 101/103 training thru Lighthouse Landing. We take our lessons Sept. 5 - 8. Four days, 9 -4. We got our material the other day and will start reading it here soon.

I wish we were getting ready to do the lessons now...but the stinking rain is still here!! What is with this summer and the rain? Really, I'm not complaining, the rain is better than a drought.

Hope ya'll are having a great TGIF!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.