SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello!! Saling newbies from Kentucky!! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/95150-hello-saling-newbies-kentucky.html)

Magnolia 12-21-2012 07:11 PM

Hello!! Saling newbies from Kentucky!!

Hi All - finally made it on here to introduce ourselves. We are new sailboat owners, and newbies to sailing. We are retired and very excited to start this new and exciting adventure.

My husband and I hope to learn everything we need to know in the next two years and then head down the Tenn River, etc and down to Apalachicola, Fl. Maybe further South at some point. But at least to that point and we will be fine.

I've enjoyed reading the forum and have already learned a lot. Thanks to all of you great contributors! We've already removed our marine head and holding tank and sanitation hoses and have ordered an Airhead Composting toilet. Can't wait to get that installed.

Other than that, this winter we are just using the boat like a floating hotel and chilling. We've already winterized, but we are at a marina, and have shore power, so all is good.

See ya and look forward to becoming part of the Community!

bljones 12-21-2012 11:15 PM

Re: Hello!! Saling newbies from Kentucky!!

Welcome aboard! Please tell us about your boat.

Magnolia 12-22-2012 06:52 AM

Good morning, bljones and thank you for the welcome aboard!

Our boat is a 1977 Columbia 8.7. She has an Atomic 4 engine that runs very smoothly. We may at some point go all electric, but, at this point we are keeping the engine. We will be adding solar panels in the future.

She has a beautiful interior and, after I can post pics, I'll do so. She has been well maintained. We've spent a couple of nights on the boat and are looking forward to many more.

Right now we are trying to figure out where everything goes. And, what do we really need. Outfitting the galley, etc has been fun. We have a 2 burner Origio stove that has never been used, and we are looking forward to learning how to cook on a boat with this style of stove.

Sea ya!

Lou452 12-22-2012 09:59 AM

Welcome. It is so nice to see a new member from Ky. You must have had a cool night if you were on the boat. It must be fun to have a plan and a dream. KY is big on pontoon and bass boats. The price of gas is getting a few folks to look at sailboats. Looks like you will not be limited by how much fuel is in the tank. You will enjoy how much more there is to a sailboat. The choices you can make about how to set them up so the boat fits you. You are already deep in the setting up department. I will guess you are at LBL in the west? I am at Cave Run Lake. I am also kind of new. We have a club CRSA with a nice web sight for activitys. The club has a web sight but it is not an active posting form like sailnet. The members a very helpfull. Cliff has a Catalina 30 or 34 ? over on kentucky lake. He is an ASA instructor. I have a Cattalina-22 and an Flying Junior. Both my boats are on trailers. Merry Christmas. My kind Regards, Lou

Magnolia 12-22-2012 07:01 PM

Hi Lou and thanks for the welcome! And from a fellow Kentuckian! Woo! Pretty nippy right now, eh? We are not on the boat right now, too close to Christmas, but, we did spend two nights after Thanksgiving and I think the temp got down to 28. We have a little electric heater that keeps the salon very warm. The v-berth was a little cool, but, we like that, so all was good. Plus I slept in a stocking cap, I was fine.

Where is Cave Run Lake exactly? We've done boating over on Barren Lake and Dale Hollow. We love Dale Hollow and would move over there in a flash, if we didn't want to move down to Florida. LOL

What is a Flying Junior? Is it a sailboat?

Merry Christmas. Best wishes!

Lou452 12-22-2012 09:46 PM

Hey Magnolia , Cave Run is Off I-64 Near Morehead ,KY. It is the better lake for sailing in East KY. It does have the twin Knobs and a lot of cliffs. This makes for some interesting wind shifts. The rest of the lakes Laural, Cumberland have more motor boat traffic and large high cliffs in many areas. The Cave run sailing club has some nice pictures on the web sight. I am not sure of all the ww/ stuff but this should get you close cave run sailing www CRSA . org ? My FJ is a 13ft dingy that has a main,jib and spinnaker. It is old and I am working on it. It sets up faster than my Catalina-22 and will fit in the very small lakes minutes from me. I am using the FJ and the Catalina to learn. You can find a lot of pictures and history on the FJ. I had a Sunfish for the small lakes and miss it. I am going to look up your boat on the internet. Boats are so much fun. They build them for so many different types of use. How you adapt a boat to fit your needs is the best part. Did you find yours in KY.? Take care ,Lou

Magnolia 12-23-2012 07:16 AM

Hi Lou, yes, I know where you are now. I was drawing a blank, very pretty area up that way. Thanks for the CRSA website, I will check it out.

We are looking forward to making the boat ours. She is coming along in the short time we've had her. Our new Airhead composting toilet came in yesterday, so we are looking forward to getting it installed. We've been buying storage bins, etc. We missed the window on getting all of our storage lockers painted, will have to wait until the spring now.

We did buy our boat here. In fact, she was in the same slip we are in now. So that made it an easy transition for us. We moved her to the boat yard during our survey, then had the bottom sanded and repainted with anti-fouling paint. Now we just wish it was spring so we can learn how to sail. ;)

Happy day!

IronSpinnaker 12-23-2012 05:45 PM

I don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, but I wanted to hail Lou... I am an EKU Alumni.

Lou452 12-23-2012 11:35 PM

Good for you. Ironspinnaker. EKU is growing every year. My 1st son is almni also. Did you ever Sail Cave Run? Regards Lou

imasaluki 12-24-2012 08:41 AM

New member also in Louisville. Haven't sailed a day in my life, but I'm looking forward to it! Good luck with your boat!