SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Tampa Area NEWB! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/95232-tampa-area-newb.html)

pdxsmay 12-26-2012 12:56 PM

Tampa Area NEWB!

Hi 40 yr old male that took a leap of faith and moved my wife from Portland, Oregon to St. Pete just to learn how to sail more!!! I have very little sailing experience, wife comes from a family of sailors. Looking to crew, help with maintenance or just good company on day trips locally. I will take direction and do any grunt work (cleaning, repairs) you need done for lessons and experience.

I have powerboated for a few years and have only taken a sailboat out 4 times, but absolutely fell in love with it!! I decided to chase a dream of sailing the Caribbean one day and convinced my wife to move here just to "train". We will be in the market for our own 28-30 ft boat by this time next year, in the meantime I would like to help anybody who may need repairs or cleaning done in exchange for experience.

I am free most evenings and weekends. I have experience in auto mechanics, electrical wiring, minor plumbing, and computer tech work (networks and system support is what I do for a living)

Thank you for your considerations!!

smackdaddy 01-16-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Tampa Area NEWB!

Welcome to SN, dude. You'll like the place.

Captainmeme 01-16-2013 12:25 PM

Welcome to Sailnet, we are not elitists here although in your case because you power boated we might make an exception ;)

Lake Superior Sailor 01-16-2013 07:16 PM

Welcome to sailnet! Why are all you helpful guys down there? You should have no trouble getting in there, just start hanging out at your local marina. And if you ever get up here look me up ......Dale

BenMerc 02-02-2013 06:41 PM

Yo pdxmay...good to hear from a local! Just sent a PM to you and jeeze...it won't go through because I don't have 'enough posts' ...At any rate was informing you that I have just got my old fixerupper in fairly good working order... (with thanks to some of the info I picked up browsing Sailnet & like sites), Anyhow, having some interested sailing pals would be great (so many landlubber cancellations). I have a 30' mid-seventies Irwin, she takes off on a puff...a real nicely tuned little boat. Did I mention I live in Odessa just a couple of miles N of Tampa?...the Irwin is in Gulf Harbors, just 25 minutes from my house, so lets go sailing some day soon! MORE fine print, seems I can not leave my e-mail either...not sure how we can work out contact...I am in the white pages, see if my name works!

Benedict Mercadante

awahl 02-02-2013 08:24 PM

Best of luck to you and the boss...
I am a total newb in West Michigan....
8 inches of snow today....
my new (to me) boat on the hard two and a half hours away...
Spring and a season of learning can't come soon enough...
Exciting days ahead!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2