SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New to sailnet, Mainer who wants to get into sailing

944 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  downeast450 
#1 ·
Hi!

I'm new to Sailnet, and hopefully you guys can help me if I need any help as I start learning about sailing.

I'm from Midcoast Maine, and I haven't even purchased a sailboat yet but I really want to.

So I know I'm getting ahead of myself by mentioning sailing trips... but:

Are there sailboats that match the following criteria:

- Can Sail from Maine to St. John's, Nova Scotia

- A sailboat I can learn and begin sailing with around Maine before making sailing trips

- Under $1,000 for boat

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

#3 ·
A friend from the yacht club sailed from Maine to NS on a Pearson 30. I am not very experienced but would imagine you'd want an inboard engine and appropriate electronics (my previous boat was under equipped and it ended up being dangerous when I needed radio and wished I had had a depth sounder - the only electronics on board was my iPhone). If you find boats in the $1000 range, let me know I am also on the market for a new one :) Good luck.

#5 ·
Moose, welcome to Sailnet (and potentially to sailing!).

Based on the questions that you are asking, I highly recommend that you check your local area for a US Power and Sail or USCG Auxiliary sailing course. They are inexpensive and will give you a solid foundation for starting your sailing education (which will never end, hopefully). I would also recommend joining a local sailing club so that you can sail on other people's boats and ask questions.

When I first started I didn't even know what questions I should have been asking. I joined a local club (best $40 I spend each year) started crewing on boats during races and taking day sails and had the opportunity to listen to gripes about maintenance, cost, etc. After not very long I longed to be one of those people griping about maintenance, cost, etc. but at least I knew what I was getting into before I bought my first boat and I was able to try different types of boats to start crossing off my list.

SailNet is a great place to ask questions and as you get more experience you'll ask even more questions. The members here are extremely helpful.

I think you mentioned purchasing a catamaran on another thread. I'm not a multihull gal but I'm pretty sure any cat you can buy for $1000 won't safely make the trip you are planning.

Good luck!

#6 ·
In short, it's very unlikely you are going to find a boat that will take you safely to Nova Scotia for $1000. It's even more unlikely you are going to find a catamaran. If you do find one it will probably take a great deal of sweat equity and more money to get it into shape. It will likely cost much more than a $1000/year to keep. A catamaran costs much more to buy and keep than a monohull.

Here are a few ideas that seem to work for some people:
1. Live on a sail boat so you can afford one.
2. Salvage one from the recent hurricane and fix it.
3. Look for boat auctions in your area.
In all cases you need yo be very good with your hands and very enterprising.

It cost me more $1000 just to survey my boat and get it in the water...

#8 ·
Moose,

Check on Craigslist. There's Northeast Sailboat Rescue in Freeport. I didn't have great luck there but that was 5 years ago. Also, before you buy, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. He has lots of good info on smaller sailboats up to 27'. It will help you to know what to look for. At $1,000, you really have a constraint against you. If you find a "free" boat, it will cost twice as much as one with a price. I think it was Donna that talked about training. Unless you are known to have a good head on your shoulders, get some training. At VERY LEAST "Sailing and Seamanship" from USCGA. SMTC is hosting a couple of classes in two weeks. Check locally to see if there are more. If you can afford it, get to the local yacht club and find out when ASA classes begin. Study "Sailing For Dummies" and other reputable publications from now until you hang up you ascot. The think is, sailing is not rocket science, it's mostly physics, a littel bit of art with a little hocus pocus for flavor. But . . . when the wind turns, the water goes thin, the house batteries short out, a tanker pulls up on your port side, a shroud separates, a winch detaches from the coming, you wake up, keel deep in mud, your compass spins, GPS goes dead, fog rolls in . . . or anything else that has happen to us. Anybody can make 'er go. Sailing is handling all the other stuff. Fortunately, those other things Usually don't come all at once. I'm a light-hearted 50 year old kid that came over to sailing 5 years ago. I sail our Lancer 25 all over Casco Bay to Muscongus Bay most of the summer weekends with my wife. We launch out of Portland or Biddeford. If you'd like to give me a call for advice on what we ran up against as we cluelessly bought our Lancer, drop me a private message. We were blessed enough to buy the perfect boat for us.

Regards,

Don Scribner

#9 ·
Hello Moose,

Would you be interested in a Rhodes 22 that is all there but in pieces. It is a great boat. I don't have time to put it back together. I did some important upgrades to it but moved to a larger boat. I might give it to someone who could put it back together. It would take me a couple of months and I am an experienced boat builder.

It would be nice to know it enabled someone to get into sailing.

If you think you might be interested let me know.

Down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.