SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Lake Champlain - greetings! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/95579-lake-champlain-greetings.html)

Zeke 01-09-2013 05:27 PM

Lake Champlain - greetings!

I've been sailing for 50 years but just bought my first boat (second, if you count an old Barnegat Bay Sneak Box I restored before selling it) - and it's a 1976 Catalina 22, hull # 6105.

Lots of small items need repairs or modifications but given we only have two seasons here (winter and Fourth of July) there's plenty of time to do the work and get it ready for ice-out sometime in April.

I noticed lots of sailboats on Lake Champlain and Memphramagog - both of which are close to 100 miles long but no Catalina owner's club. Perhaps I can change that ;-)

Should any of you own a C-22 and sail either lake, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading and thanks for letting me hang out here...

Ken

Silvio 01-15-2013 05:21 PM

Re: Lake Champlain - greetings!

Welcome Zeke! I hope you enjoy Sailnet. I love the Catalina 22, it is what my wife and I learned to sail on. Although we were in Florida at the time so we had a year 'round sailing season. We're on the Chesapeake now and I think this is far enough north for me 8-)

Jump over to the general discussion area and tell us more about your boat. i would love to read about what you do with it.

jrd22 01-15-2013 06:03 PM

Welcome Zeke! That must be some sort of record, 50 years sailing and never owned a boat! I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun with the C22.

hallucination 01-15-2013 09:20 PM

down a little bit further in the adirondacks...there is a place called "camp of the woods" before my gama sold it, it was where i grew up. I have found that ALL the information you need is here.

enjoy sailing! hope to be able to talk you into a Caribbean trip. thats where I ended up!

Zeke 01-16-2013 10:42 AM

Camp of the Woods? I had my first job there as a musician back in 1960!

Small world.

I never had the time or money for a sailboat. My two brothers-in-law owned 19' Lightning's, and now 30+ foot boats and I used to charter a lot.

Bare-boat chartered a 30+footer and sail from Pt. Pleasant, NJ to Block Island, RI many times.

Sailing out of sight of land for 24 hours with dead-reckoning and a decent binnacle can teach us many things :D

Planing hulls are a trip as well. I've raced out of Greenwood lake, Raritan Yacht Club as well as Nyack YC. Never needed to own one.;)

hallucination 01-16-2013 11:02 AM

That would be when we still owned the livery which we later sold to Gordon Purdy. I was the baby in the water in the crib. we had ~10 guide boats, a bunch of canvas canoes, some newer grumanns, bunch of wooden sailfishes as well as being the chris craft dealer for NY state. it was the two story white boathouse at the end of the beach. I lived in the 4 apartment house behind it. My Grandmother was Ann Stewart / Roberts. My mom was Teddy.

welcome to the forum, enjoy your new boat! I just got my first boat as well, a 2013 Bavaria Vision 46.

cheers!
robert dilmore

Zeke 01-16-2013 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Me @ the helm of my B-I-L's 40'