SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello from Little rhody (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/95586-hello-little-rhody.html)

MSO sailor 01-09-2013 07:51 PM

Hello from Little rhody

I'm just getting a 25'Oday tall rig/keel & have alot of questions to ask!lol
Thanks

mikel1 01-09-2013 11:04 PM

Re: Hello from Little rhody

Welcome aboard! And ask away . .

marcusc130 01-10-2013 08:12 AM

Hello from Little rhody

Where in RI? I'm in Jamestown.

MSO sailor 01-10-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusc130 (Post 973422)
Where in RI? I'm in Jamestown.

I'm in Warwick,We go out to Jamestown alot.We like Fort Wetherall(?) & i go to a car cruise night at elks or ? on Thrusdays sometimes. We also go to the Narragansett Bar for Food & fun!lol
Jim

MSO sailor 01-10-2013 08:45 AM

I just bought a 25' Oday tall rig & i'm wonderingwhat to expaect from it? Is it a "easy, forgiving" boat? Is there any problems with them? What do i have to look out for? It appears to be i great shape with just needing a good cleaning. Has a GM 1 yanmar diesel that i have to get running ( They said it was running when taken out of the water in 2008).
I want to mostly sail naragansett bay & LI sound, but i might get the erge to sail it to P-town, Long Beach island , NJ & maybe Florida next winter.
I have some experience sailing but i haven't sailed in about 35yrs!!( owned smaller power boats also).
So any advice anyone can give me would be very helpful & I'll CYA on the water.
Thanks
Jim

CalebD 01-10-2013 12:57 PM

We race our Tartan 27' against a std. rig O'Day 25'. The O 25 does quite well and sometimes gets the better of us. That may be because the skipper is older, smarter, more devious but the boat is up to it. They use a 9.9 HP outboard mounted on the transom.
I believe this is the spec for the tall mast version: O'DAY 25 CB TM sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
The O 25 is a good choice for your local waters (Narraganset & LI Sound) and you can work your way up to making longer hops.

You are going to want to get Yanny GM1 working. 1 cylinder diesels are notorious for being able to loosen fillings! I don't know how much you know about diesels but I have found this book by Nigel Caulder to be a great resource of information about diesel engines:

MSO sailor 01-10-2013 03:48 PM

Thank you for the info! Very helpful.I went to the boat today & I actually got it started!Noisey as hell but it ran!It was kind of cool to get it running. I'm looking forward totrying it on the water.I thing it will run forever & get me home all the time but i don't think i'll be water skiing on it!LOL.
So all there is to do now is clean it & wait for Spring!!
J