Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013

hallucination is on a distinguished road
new owner, old sailor, always learning

New owner of a "livable" boat. As with all endeavors, one should always be learning and sharing.
I grew up on a lake in the Adirondack's where we owned a livery. Built my first sailboat at 7 years old, a Sailfish. I pretty much sailed that everyday. refitted it with a Sunfish sail later...removed the Sunfish patch...it's not cheating unless your caught. Sunfish sails are 30% larger.
Been sailing the MED, BVI, SVI on charters. Sailing the Chesapeake on a Bene 34.
Recently bought a Bavaria 46 Vision and have it in fleet at Horizon BVI. Gen/Ac/everything! looking towards moving down island 2 years, abacos 2 years, med 2 years. Can check out the stepping of the boat on their website.

USCG 6PAX, ASA 101-117. learning a sextant..really cool!

When I got married...had kids....started with tent camping, then went trailer camping(in EU), then did a houseboat(sacramento), sent kids/wife to summer sail camp(chesapeake). took 5 years. but we are now all sailors!!!

robert
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2013

Andy Pickles is on a distinguished road
Re: new owner, old sailor, always learning

Hi,

I am just about to sign the purchase agreement for a new Bavaria 46 Vision and I would be very interested to hear your views. I am trading up from a Bavaria 42 which we have had for six years since new. It has been used frequently and has been very reliable. I am particularly interested in how well the boat sails and also whether you like the sheeting system for the main.

Regards

Andy Pickles
Old 01-12-2013

As you know, there is a total night/day difference in the layout between the two.

The sheeting system takes a day to get used to. I find that you will be using the vang MUCH more with this rig. in 20kts winds, we got a 2 kts increase. she will do 12kts pretty easily. as with most FARR designs, she heels to a point and sticks there. massive rudder will prevent her from rounding up even when you have WWAAYY too much sheet out.

Caution on the refrigerator. make sure you don't get the euro spec system. you will have a cavernous box with a puny fan/fin unit. Also stay away from the folding prop as the option. Quite a bit of vibration, stick with the fixed as I did.

Why don''t you take mine out? there are a few weeks open. hallucination is at Horizon in nanny cay.
Old 01-12-2013

I think I could be pretty helpful. I have sailed the 42 that you had for about 9 wks. her name was HMS Jennyfish, out of the Horizon fleet. I can be reached at my gmail account. just PM me for the address.
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I hope you can share with us your experience with Horizon. I have a friend with Horizon in BVI in 2011 to 2012, he did not make out too good with them even his boat was booked back to back.

I tempted to buy a Bavaria 40, but holding back to a state of wait and see.
TIA.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-26-2013

So far it has been very positive, in both money and experience. Do you know if he went guaranteed or max income?

I'm not a big fan of the cruiser 40. She sails GREAT! but thats where it ends.

you end up sitting on a 4-5 inch top of the folding stern, no seat. you cant sit at the corners of the helm due to the backstays. The freezer is TINY. Front berth is like a cigar tube. nonexistent deck access to the anchor locker. settee is really close to stove, one person downstairs cooking makes everyone crawls over the table to get forward, ladder must be stowed, awkwardly in the lazarette. engine fan exists at helm, throttle down at deck level.

And there is more, but I'm getting tired of typing
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Good to hear your positive experience with them, I did not know the details. He told me he only net less than a few thousands back after all expenses. They screwed up his genset and he had to replace it. They charge $800 clean up fee each time. His boat is a Jeanneau 45 ft one year old at the time. i helped him to get his boat down to BVI in 2011.

I spent almost half day with John Welch while I was in BVI looking at their program and option, but failed to pull the trigger in the Summer of 2012.

Good luck on your brand new boat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 03-18-2013

robalo1 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hijack, but my husband and I with some friends are chartering Hallucinations from Horizon in a few weeks. I was wondering if there's anything we should know about her in order to provision / pack / get even more excited!

We've chartered with the Moorings twice, and this will be our first charter with Horizon. We have been looking for a more 'high end' boat, and yours looks to be the best mono out there!

Cheers