Not your average SailNet member... - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Capt.Alex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2013 Thread Starter
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Not your average SailNet member...

Hello,
I am a new member here and hope to gain a lot of knowledge from all of the sailing experts here. In exchange, I hope to be able to contribute some of my expertise as well.
I chose my user name not because someone gave me one of those navy blue caps from WM that says "Captain" on it, but because I make my living as the Captain of a large tri-deck diesel burning gazillion dollar obnoxious motor yacht. I hold a USCG Master ticket and have logged many thousands of sea miles from New England to the Caribbean. I admit most of the miles have not come under the power of the wind, but I do have some sailing time under my belt as well.
In the past my wife and I have owned, lived aboard, and been full time cruisers on a sailboat plying the waters of the U.S. East Coast and most of the Bahamas. We have been sailboatless for the past 10 years and have been getting our boating fix on powerboats while we both have full time jobs. However, the time has come to start easing back into the sailing lifestyle and so, I am pleased to announce that I just made an offer on our new sailing/floating home.
I hope to gain some wisdom from the experts here and hopefully make some new friends as well. If all goes as planned We should be residing part time aboard our new boat in St. Augustine FL within a couple of months.
I assume I am not he average member here because I find it is rare that someone that spends as much time on motor yachts as I do is willing to make the switch back to the sailing lifestyle, as they are soooo different. Please don't hate me because I made a deal with the devil in order to make a living
TheWollard likes this.

Last edited by Capt.Alex; 01-24-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2013

Re: Not your average SailNet member...

welcome aboard, and welcome back from the darkside.
I don't hate you because of how you make your living. I hate you because you're apparently someplace warm right now.
With a boat in the water.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2013
Wish I never found SN!

Hi

Simon
Ericson 39B.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitsundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

Well, you've got to make a living somehow. And it sounds like it's put you into a pretty nice sailboat, judging by your other post. Welcome aboard!

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2013

Welcome, The winds of time catch up!...Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2013

Welcome to SailNet Alex! it appears that you and I have a lot in common. I always had sailboats, one kind or another.I earned my first captain's license (Ocean operator 100ton) in 1970.
I worked my way up to masters operating oil boats,charter boats, military Sealift command and yachts through the years.I have been doing Yacht deliveries as well. I'm getting ready to retire on February 12 and hopefully leaving with my new/used sailboat on that date. Don't forget to stop by Gen. chat and meet some of the people there! CaptG

[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!

post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2013

Welcome and as a Newbie I am sure glad to have another member with extensive experience to tap.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2013

First Chuck switches from a cat,... now this.... hahahaha welcome to the other side

Why, why, why?

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.