Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013

Mccoop27 is on a distinguished road
Hello from biloxi

hello everyone my name is Matt from Biloxi Mississippi I've decided since my divorce that I want to fill the dream that I had while I was in Iraq of learning to sail and live on a boat the only thing I know about sailing is what I've read books I am hoping to connect with people who can help guide me in the right direction and look forward to speaking with people that I've done this before
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2013

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello from biloxi

hello Matt, welcome to SailNet. If you are anxious to learn to sail, you have found the right place. There are a variety of people here from newbies to old salts...... Jump right in!

CaptG
Stumble likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-27-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Hey Matt, welcome to SN. A good place to start is the list of Articles here, lots of information on learning to sail, etc.
Learning to Sail Articles - SailNet Community

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-27-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Welcome to sailnet.

I would absolutely recommend getting in touch with BYC (Biloxi Yacht Club). They are a good group of guys, and are pretty much always looking for crew, and new members.
Old 01-27-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I bid a non-elitist welcome to you.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Old 01-27-2013

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

Hey Matt, perhaps you are in luck... I am in Hattiesburg and will be sailing a small 19 footer out of the marina in Gulfport soon. Hopefully, as early as late February. I am wrapping up an epic renovation on an older 1967 boat. My goal is to have fun, and I really wanted to make some safety and comfort improvements on my boat prior to exploring the Mississippi sound.

My sailing experience was on Lake Ponchatrain, which was not too fun... kinda like sailing in a big pond...always ending up at shoreline sooner or later... It was a good safe place to learn though... I am always learning.

Believe it or not, I have recently been thinking about using my boat as a sort of floating "therapy session" for recently returning veterans who could maybe use a relaxing day on the water.

If you've never been sailing, you're in for a treat... its very peaceful activity...

I am almost done fiberglassing the cockpit area and can't wait to set sail on the MS sound.

Hope to see you back here... Bruce
mikecoder3 likes this.
Old 01-28-2013

Mccoop27 is on a distinguished road

Bruce
have you ever heard of North star sailing charters which is based out of Gulfport does classes for around 600 bucks I'm just curious if it was worth the 600 bucks

Last edited by Mccoop27; 01-28-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2013

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

Sorry Matt, I am not familiar with that name. That does not mean its a bad program/course, just not known to me. If it is a formal class where you get a quoted amount of time at the tiller, it may be worth it. Some chartered boats require you to have documented training in order to rent their boat. See if they offer any type of national certification such as an ASA certificate.

I could have used some formal training my first time out, it was blowing real strong and I was white as a sheet most of the day. We almost piled up on a rock jetty near the marina entrance. I just bought the boat that day and we were gonna sail it that same day or else !! Not very smart. At first I was overwhelmed with all the ropes and lines, its really not that much to learn. I also suggest a subscription to a few sailing magazines to get you started.

Hope this helps... Bruce
Old 01-28-2013

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick

Hello Bruce and Matt, from Nick in Ocean Springs.

Matt, I agree with Stumble's idea of talking to the folks at Biloxi Yacht Club. An alternative, the one I chose, is Ocean Springs Yacht Club. We have many small boats available to sail once you've been checked out. Sailing a small catamaran (Hobie 16, Hobe Wave) or the Sunfish is very easy to learn. I like this option because I don't own a boat of my own, and I can go sailing any time I want. Gulfport has a yacht club, as does Long Beach, Pass Christian, Pascagoula, and Bay St Louis.

Hope to see you on the water! You too, Bruce!

p.s. The Mississippi Sound is a great place to sail!

Here are links to Gulf Coast Yacht Clubs.

Last edited by SailingStNick; 01-28-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added links
Old 01-28-2013

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick

BTW, North Star Sailing Charters is a legitimate organization. Very skilled owner and teacher. I haven't taken any of his classes, but probably would if I were going to buy a larger boat. As it is, I sail the small boats and enjoy some time with a friend on his 33' Pearson every now and again. I also work on the Glenn L Swetman schooner. 65 feet of sailing fun!