SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Port of Rochester, NY (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/96340-port-rochester-ny.html)

GDSimmons 02-04-2013 11:39 AM

Port of Rochester, NY

OK, so after two years of reading about sailing, studying terms, learning weather, tying knots, I'm ready to take the next step and actually get on a sailboat. I've had a passion for sailing, but never made the time to fit it into my life. Now at age 40 I'm ready to move on this and I'm excited! I was supposed to take lessons last Fall at Canandaigua YC, however, transmission decided to go on the van the week classes started! Oh well, itís a new year and this time Iím trying to find a skipper(s) who are willing to let me crew for them and learn at a fraction of the cost. Maybe in 2014 Iíll invest in my own s/v, Iím thinking a 23í to 27í sloop. Anyways, Iíve read a lot of blogs from this site, but now I figured Iíd join and add my voice to the thousands here already doing what I am so anxious to get started doing, sailing!

joyinPNW 02-04-2013 12:23 PM

Re: Port of Rochester, NY

Big welcome to you! We're like you- started sailing about 5 yrs ago and we love it! Just read the posts here and you'll learn plenty. Ask questions, there is always someone willing to help and they know what they're talking about, too! And, lastly, have fun!

BTW- my father's family is from Greece, NY-many, many "Trabold" members.

GDSimmons 02-04-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyinPNW (Post 985457)
Big welcome to you! We're like you- started sailing about 5 yrs ago and we love it! Just read the posts here and you'll learn plenty. Ask questions, there is always someone willing to help and they know what they're talking about, too! And, lastly, have fun!

BTW- my father's family is from Greece, NY-many, many "Trabold" members.

Thank you so much for the welcome! I can't wait to make new "sailing" friends, virtual and live, and start the ever learning journey of sailing. If you ever find yourselves in the area, land or water, look us up! Greece, NY has been a great place to raise my family, now I want to fully take advantage od my location by making Lake Ontario my backyard playground!

Lake Superior Sailor 02-04-2013 03:33 PM

Welcome to Sailnet this is a great place to find anything sailing! Lots of help & ideas around here.....Dale

GDSimmons 02-05-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor (Post 985578)
Welcome to Sailnet this is a great place to find anything sailing! Lots of help & ideas around here.....Dale

Thanks Dale, yes, SailNet does seem to be the place for everything sailing. What type of "sailing" things are you up to this off season?

Lake Superior Sailor 02-05-2013 12:28 PM

As the water around here is hard! I got the boat home waiting on a repaint for the deck. In the mean time I am buying things I don't need for the boat off the Internet. Then there is a lot of sailnuts out there, that come in handy comparing notes. Planning a trip to Isle Royale in the spring..Dale

GDSimmons 02-05-2013 03:47 PM

I have read from a few folks that Lake Superior is a serious challenge, that its very different from the other Great Lakes. You find that true?

Lake Superior Sailor 02-05-2013 04:46 PM

Lake Superior can be hard, she runs colder then most, year round, safe ports are few and far between ,and if you plan for help you need to be ready to wait,as no one is close! Just listening to radio calls you learn quickly she takes lives. The weather is on you fast and you need to pay attention. The rewards are awsome,sights unreal, and I wouldn't trade her for the world.....Dale