SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello New To The Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/96418-hello-new-forum.html)

mikecoder3 02-06-2013 03:51 PM

Hello New To The Forum

Hello I have never sailed before. I will be taking lessons. I put the cart before the horse and purchased an Island Trader 37 foot built in 1977. I know I am going to enjoy the retro fit upcoming. The boat will be on the hard by the end of April in South west Florida. I will be doing most of the rehab myself in the heat of Florida's summer...I will probably loose 30 unwanted pounds while I bake inside my boat for the interior work needed. Being a "Leaky Teaky" , I have a lot of rotted plywood to replace. The original Teak deck has been pulled up, and most of the grassing has already been done. there are a few soft spots on the deck that need addressing, and I will be sealing the deck with a a product a fellow boat owner has used on his leaky boat deck in Seattle. the sealer will go over the existing new fiberglass and for sure solve any new potential leaks. I still have to address my original bronze windows that are leaking from the frame. the actual window seals have been done, but I have to pull the old 36 year old windows frames out and re seal them...would love any tips from any of you on this. another problem I have is the engine has to be hooked up and new mounts made. A replacement diesel is sitting inside the boat now: A 1982 Universal Atomic Kubota 1501B model 40 universal...Can any of you turn me onto a good parts source that is affordable? the old model #5432? I have been told I will have a hard time getting this engine connected and that parts are rare and hard to come by? Do any of you run this type motor and if so any info you can share with me would be great !!!!!!! I am open to all input and suggestions. Thanks so very much. If there are any 1977 Island trader owners out there please respond. I need much advice and part sources for windows, latches, hinges and interior needs. thanks so very much. Love the original Teak on this boat!!!!!!

sailor333 02-06-2013 04:06 PM

Re: Hello New To The Forum

heyy :)

Capt. Gary Randall 02-06-2013 05:03 PM

welcome to SailNet from Northwest Florida...............

bljones 02-06-2013 05:26 PM

Welcome aboard, newbie. Two things;
1. you might want to change your tag, just to keep the spam at bay.

2. Congrats on jumping in backwards! it's kinda refreshing to meet a newbie who WON'T be asking, "what kind of boat should i buy?"

There is lots of good advice here on rebedding ports and hardware. Two words: butyl tape.

blutoyz 02-07-2013 08:55 AM

Welcome and congrats on your project...That is the way to jump right in

mikecoder3 02-08-2013 08:18 AM

Thank you for the welcome. I am hoping another Island Trader owner in the era my boat is from will contact me and give me loads of advice and information...

In the meantime, thanks you two for the welcome and advice... Yes I have asked the moderator to change my thread name to keep the spam at bay. Thank you for that wise adivice.

GDSimmons 02-08-2013 12:30 PM

Welcome to Sailnet, another newbie here and without a boat LOL. Going to crew this year and get out on the water, will start looking at boats next year once I know some basics. However, if a deal comes along that you can't pass up, you never know! Sounds like you scored a big one.

mikecoder3 02-08-2013 03:36 PM

Welcome GD I hope you find a nice boat soon. We fell into a deal we just could not pass up. Even though it needs work, it will be pretty when we get done !!!! :O)

DRFerron 02-08-2013 04:12 PM

Michael,

I sent you a PM about changing your username. Not sure if you can get it because of your low post count. The moderators just need to know what you want to change it to. We don't encourage doing that normally but you really don't want to use your email account as others have pointed out.

jimgo 02-08-2013 05:08 PM

Welcome aboard! We'll need pictures, and lots of them, before you start and as you progress.

Have you considered finding someone at the marina for whom you can crew a few times, so you can get the feel for sailing? You'd be amazed how readily most folks will, after they've met you once or twice, allow you to come along, especially if you're willing to do the work (which is really where all the learning happens).