SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   offshore sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/96678-offshore-sailing.html)

rigalio 02-15-2013 07:47 PM

offshore sailing

Hello I am from Montreal I have an O'day 30 1979 it is for sale it is on lac Champlain at Rouses point. I did buy a Van de stadt 30 steel cutter and I want to buy a life raft were should I look for it cause I find the new one exspecive.

chuck53 02-16-2013 07:57 AM

Re: offshore sailing

If you're out in the middle of the ocean, what do you want, something cheap or something your life can depend on?

FinallySailing 02-17-2013 06:22 AM

Bonjour and welcome !

Personally I like the idea of having something like a Portland Pudgy or Walker Bay doubling up as a liferaft. If I remember right, the Purdeys demonstrate a similar concept in one of their videos.

Whatever you do, stay safe and post lots of pictures of your adventures :)

c. breeze 02-18-2013 08:44 PM

Just remember to step up into the life raft - not down. You don't want to swap the 30 footer for the tented 12 footer too soon. Hahaha

outbound 02-18-2013 09:45 PM

might want to think about a winslow in a valise. small light and high quality. in a 30'foot putting a hard cannister on deck doen't make sense. look at other threads on this site for discussion. way to go is a new one as repacking about as expensive as getting a new one. with 30' boat a 4 man should suffice unless you're going to put 6 little people ( my wife's 4'10") on your boat. Look at any of the blue water race web sites for outline of what you should put in your ditch bag to go along with the raft.

rigalio 02-19-2013 09:30 AM

I will buy a new life raft for shure
I want a digny that is not a phneumatic to fit it on the deck and it will be a life raft case to I think I did find some walker bay classic cause I dont want a out board motor it is to mutch troubles.

rigalio 03-02-2013 08:37 AM

Hello did any body sail down from Kingston to Montreal
How long it could take to do the trip. Were to stop or visit.

rigalio 03-02-2013 09:02 AM

Helo I am Mike and I am new in sailing I now Have a O'day 30' 1979 Very nice boat Easy to sail we are on lac Champlain rousespoint N.Y.
WE did 2 summer on the lac we did love it especialy in hi wind a lot of fun.
I did learn that the boat is not realy fitt for of shore sailing, so I decided to look for an ofshore sail boat. Did find one It is a Van de stadt excalibur steel cutter30' Was not shure to make the mouve and then I did it is in Kingston Ontario. I have to bring it down to Montreal and try to sell the O'day30 I don't know how to advertise it I will find out cause of your help from good persons that are on this Sailing forum.In 2014 we are gonna leave Montreal sailing down the st Lawrence to the Maritimes Halifax and then the adventures gone start ofshore sailing.Going to Bermuda and then Turks and caicos and to the carabeian seas. leaving for at lease 2 years. That is our program and will stick to it

blowinstink 03-05-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 992065)
might want to think about a winslow in a

Winslow costs 2X as much as all of the other rafts to get recertified. Keep that in mind before you buy a Winslow.