Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013

MSc is on a distinguished road
Your help is requested with research for my MSc

Ladies and gentlemen hello. May I introduce myself, I am currently a full time employee of the RNLI and am studying for an MSc in Maritime Studies at Portsmouth university. I have previously discussed my project here;

HELP NEEDED FOR MSc RESEARCH

My project of study is to ascertain the use of electronic navigation displays in maritime Search and Rescue(SAR). I am specifically looking at whether by the adoption of this fantastic new technology we have had more accidents or incidents down to it's use/mis-use/failure or limitation. I am looking at the leisure market and the professional mariner in this study. On the flip side I am looking at how SAR Units(both lifeboats and helicopters) use such displays. Do they find them easy to use, greatly assist the search or just another tool to use. I am also asking what information they would like the 'ideal' system to display.
I am also looking for incidents where navigation displays played a good or bad role in the situation and lessons that were learned. A few incidents have arisen such as navigating at 21 kts down a river and hitting a sandbank clearly marked with 6 buoys. An explanation to the CG was 'I was following my waypoints'. I am not trying to ridicule or belittle anyone but am looking for lessons so that others can learn from them. On the flipside the Board of Inquiry into HMS NOTTINGHAM hitting Wolf rock off Lord Howe Island specified that this incident probably would not have happened had electronic charting been in use. Any input will be anonymous and I will be sharing the findings of my project with the RNLI to aid in the saving lives at sea.
My own background was in the Royal Navy spending 13 years as an bridge watchkeeping officer and I have been with the RNLI for the last 4 years as an inspector/manager here in Scotland.
In order to help me compile data I have compiled a survey found here;

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ENS_public

If you are willing to help please click on the link and complete the survey. If you wish to discuss this further or wish to relate a specific story to me please contact me here or leave your email address in the survey. I thank you, fair winds and following seas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2013

MSc is on a distinguished road
Re: Your help is requested with research for my MSc

I intend to close the surveys on Wed in order that I can write up the evidence if you want to participate please do. Thank you all who participated or contributed. I will try to post a link to the final report if I'm successful.
Old 03-03-2013

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Your help is requested with research for my MSc

Done. Good luck with your study!
Pasadena, MD