Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013

Mclarenm26 is on a distinguished road
New to the sport

Just getting started and looking for advice on a first cruiser purchase. We are starting with our 101 and 103 in SoCal and thinking of a solid, good performing previously owned cruiser suitable for a comfortable sailing and weekend overnights with room for a couple friends or family. Resale ability important as our long term plan is head to BVIs for escapes (not with this boat). Like to keep budget in the $15-$30k for first boat. Quality and fresh important. Not looking for a project. Thanks DB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the sport

Welcome aboard!
I'd start with a search here to get some thoughts on cruisers, then go to yacht world and sailboat listings and see what looks pleasing to the eye and what my spark your interest.
Next; walk around some marinas/yacht clubs and ask for in put.
I would think in your price range that you should be able to find a decent 70's to 80's cruiser in the 25' to 30' range. Think small! It's the best way to start. Maybe even a trailer sailor that you could take elsewhere (inland) and explore. (Catalina 22')
After all of that...(months and classes, 101)
Find a sailboat broker that you like and can work with and let them know where your interests lie. DON'T do it on your own. It doesn't cost you anything. Surround yourself with people that know. In addition; find a surveyor that is not recommended (per se)by your broker. I mean, find a surveyor that can be impartial.

I think you are starting the right way. Make a minimum investment; if you like everything, you can always upgrade ; if not, sell out.

Have fun
Old 02-25-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

You can easily find a Catalina 27 for less than 30K. And with a little looking around, the Catalina 30 is within reach. Consider the full cost on ownership before you buy: hauling, painting, slip fees, that sort of thing. Don't discount the larger trailerables. Makre sure there's a survey on something that's going to cost 25K.
Old 02-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

A Catalina would be a good move, even if only on the resale front. And I'd expect you'll find a nice C27 for WAY less than $30K, maybe even $10K, and you should be able to find a C30 in your price range too - along with a number of other boats in that size range and from probably the 80s...

Lake sailing, I presume, for starters? Marina based? or as mentioned already, trailerable?

Your plan sounds do-able, best of luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)