Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013

doogymon is on a distinguished road
Moving Up from Trailer Sailer

Hi

Had a couple of Trailer sailers 15 and 17' for last 10 years.Going to buy a 27-31 ft cruiser/racer. From the frozen North, Great Lakes but I've crewed on the both Coasts. They say (in North America) to buy from the GL but prices ridiculous sometimes .Me and the 1st mate would like to take a road-trip to Maryland in March. Check out Annapolis. Check out some boats. I have a Pickup truck so I have to be careful there isn't one on a trailer...lol.
Cheers

Last edited by doogymon; 02-25-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: ADHD kicked in.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving Up from Trailer Sailer

As I've been searching for a boat, I've found that although Annapolis has some good boats, te Baltimore area is also a great place to look, especially on Craigslist. The Baltimore CL has the listings for much of the Northern Chesapeake, and there are a LOT of sailboats there. Washington, DC also has some, but not as many as Annapolis or Baltimore.

If you're moving the boat to the Great Lakes and plan to do it by water, you might also want to look in Long Island and New York City. Lots of nice boats in those areas, and the North Shore of Long Island wasn't hit as bad as the South. The New Jersey Shore also has some decent boats, but it is fairly well picked-over now after Hurricane Sandy. If you do look in the NJ/NYC area, be CERTAIN to get a survey, with a careful eye toward ANY possible damage from the hurricane or the subsequent NorEaster.

As far as tourism goes, Annapolis is a great place to go. It's a bit of a "big city" feel compared to some areas, but compared to Washington, DC and New York, it is laid back. It's a pretty area, and if your GF is into shopping, she'll have a ball there. Washington, DC is also a reasonable distance away, and there is a lot to see and do there. Baltimore is also close by, and you can visit the Inner Harbour and the aquarium. I know you said she's not a big city girl - neither DC nor Baltimore are "big cities" in the sense of NY or LA. DC doesn't have high rise buildings, so it feels more "comfortable" and it's a fairly clean city. If you tend to stay in the touristy areas, it's also a fairly safe city. As for Baltimore, I enjoy the inner harbor; my family and I go there at least once a year. I wouldn't want to stray too far outside of that area, though The Walters museum is a very neat place to visit if you like art (I'm not a big art fan, but they have medieval art that is very neat).
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 02-25-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook